SPOILERS Anyone Willing to Admit the Remake Was better then the Original?

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Compared to the equivalent Midgar parts of the OG, oh yes most definitely, I would absolutely rank the Remake as superior to the original.

And if the general quality of the Remake is maintained throughout the project, I will expect to continue to prefer future installments over their OG equivalents.

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
No, I will not admit due to this one reason: we don't get to see what's under the pachinko machine in the bar. I was so curious how it'd look like in detailed graphics, but alas.

Anyway, both games have their pros and cons that may appeal differently to different people. The remake does have an edge though in that it has a lot of time to flesh out characters and character dynamics compared to the Midgar section of the original.

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
Remake is definitely better in many ways. However, certain icon scenes are better in OG though, such as the killing of President Shinra. I also liked the way Sephiroth was handled better in OG but their is still a chance they'll make him work for REMAKE also. He has me intruiged.

Last edited:

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
Eh......I think that's a very, very hard comparison to make. You obviously have to consider the fact that FFVII wasnt about Midgar, so taking just the Midgar portion and comparing to a full game is just....wrong.

And also, a tiny little detail that FFVII is 23 years old. You absolutely need to take in consideration the time period each one is from, and that sort of muddles everythig pretty much. 90% of what you can compare, technology is involved, so essentially it is rendered moot.

If I would compare FFVII Remake, the game, versus FFVII, the game, using my own rating of each one to see who's better (a simple, "this one is rated better than this other one, so it's better" kind of thing), I would still put the OGVII as a better game. Not that that means much, since that type of comparison is bad, but also, FFVII is pretty much a masterpiece class in my book. No game should feel bad for not being as good as it.

That said, FFVIIR is a pretty good damn game. Music and gameplay are just as important as story in my book (maybe even more) and FFVIIR absolutely nails those two. Even story, it still provides a overall pretty good one. It sufficiently uses the resources and technologies of today and improves and expands the scenes from the original, so that's a good win in my book.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I think my metric says no. When I think of the best games on the ps1, FF7 immediately pops into my head as a contender. When I think of the best games for the ps4, I'd probably consider at least a few others before considering FF7r.

For transparency, I dont think either actually win the title in either category... though FF7o might win in my heart <3 It's kind of hard to compete with something that was a uncontested landmark, but I think FF7r is still a damn good game.

AKA
Alex
The only way to compare them is via the equivalent portion of the OG, and that's like comparing a really, really good gourmet cheeseburger with three types of beef and sea salt fries.... to a three-course meal that includes aperitifs, an appetizer, a porterhouse steak and a couple slices of cheesecake, just for good measure.

They both work very well at what they do. The OG has one of the most iconic moments in gaming history in its opening (the bombing mission), but trying to compare the story between that and the remake is night and day. Trying to go from the latter to the former immediately reveals how simplistic it is - I say this having recently played through the OG again up to Junon with New Threat. You just kind of bounce from one mission to the next, things get forgotten (platefall, fate of other Sector 7 residents) after the fact, and the plot is quite breakneck until you get into Shinra HQ and start having to deal with some puzzles and the stream of boss battles. The prevailing mindset is that this is more-or-less an extended tutorial, one that only ends once you beat Motorball and get on your way proper.

The Remake is different - it has a fair amount of padding, but it also does a much better job of fleshing out sidestories of the residents you meet (that there are so many NPCs with unique dialogue across multiple chapters is frankly shocking) and giving you a better picture of the larger forces at work outside the couple sectors you visit. It's a game that's clearly designed for multiple playthroughs (achievements even tie into replaying chapters and making alternate choices), and it also incentivizes postgame play. For a modern title and a spin on what is arguably one of the most famous openings in the meeting, it does the job incredibly well overall.

Last edited:

Bouncymouse

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Steph
The remake was absolutely everything I ever wanted (apart from the missing Avalanche hideout :( I spent so much time around the pinball machine looking for a way down there). When I played the OG I was still at school--the graphics were great for the time and having never played that style of game before I found the game play to be interesting. For me it was the story that was the most epic thing about it and that's what's stayed with me all of these years.

The game play in the remake is outstanding. Seeing the expanded locations was a dream come true--so many things to look at even before you even take into account playing through a scene. The music was nostalgic but refreshed enough to stand alongside the beautiful locations. The ending...was a little confusing but I understand why it was done--setting Sephiroth up as the big bad evil needed the weight of a final battle for anybody that isn't familiar with the OG story. Introducing him in a later instalment might have felt too random?

The remake by itself will never be better in my eyes because it isn't complete. Once it's fully released it will eclipse the OG completely (provided they don't lose the original story). The OG will always have a place in my heart but I know the full release is going to absolutely take over my life :D

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
I haven't played the remake, so I cant really answer this.

But with that said, I find it doubtful that I'd prefer a version that slows the pacing so much and completely changes the end of the game, along with the seemingly different depictions of Sephiroth and Aerith. We also have no idea what they will do going forward, so I'd be cautious to compare just yet. Yes, it's FFVII, but it also sounds like something different.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
To me the comparison is kinda moot. It's like when people try to compare two sportsmen or teams who dominated two different eras and ask "who's the strongest?". Each is a product of its time.
Besides, maybe it's not a fair comparison right now because we do not have yet the complete experience of the remake - by that, I mean that we probably ought to compare the OG with the combination of the multi-part release that the remake is going to be. Maybe the question would be more relevant once we get to the end of the story.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
In the original, the events outside of Midgar are stronger than the ones inside of it. It's obviously still good within Midgar, but we won't get a proper comparison until the whole game has been remade. Did the Remake depict the events of Midgar better than the original? Yes, mostly. Even then, it's not a clear-cut decision.

I have an opinion about media in general that I'm not sure is controversial or not - basically, I strongly feel that media rarely ages. If someone was able to enjoy a work of art in it the time it was released, there's no reason why you can't adjust your mindset and do the same. It doesn't matter if it's twenty years old or four thousand years old, if you empathize with the time period, you can enjoy it in the same way their contemporaries did. The only time a work "ages" is through outdated social beliefs - racial and moral insensitivity, primarily. But artistically? Art never ages. I still think the prerendered environments in VII are gorgeous, for example.

Now, onto the actual content of Remake v. Classic:

While the expanded locations feel a lot more like real, living locations, the maze-like linear nature of the maps is a legitimate drawback compared to the original. In the Remake, it's too easy to just put your eyes on the objective marker on the mini-map and turn off your brain and just run there. The environments are bigger, but if you're less incentivized to pay attention to each individual object, does it matter? In the original VII, you digested each location on a screen-by-screen basis, paying attention to more objects per screen.

This is an example of why it's not clear-cut. Because both Remake and Original offer an experience that the other one cannot.

The writing and dialogue in Remake is more emotional, since it's basically being delivered by realistically represented people. However, because the game is more realistic, music tends to be more subtly woven into the scenes. In the original, you're always hit with a strong dose of music and art combining at the same time - creating certain "moods" a lot more powerfully.

If I had to name examples, the scenes leading up to AVALANCHE's death are much stronger in the Remake. The mood in the scene where President Shinra dies is much more mysterious and powerful in the original.

As another example:

In the Remake, climbing the plate was expanded to a whole chapter. You can see the destruction of Sector 7 in great detail, and climbing up the plate is honestly exhilarating as you take in all of the scenery around you.

In the original? The blood-red "AVALANCHE" graffiti against the dark, metallic backdrop while A Full Scale Attack triumphantly plays in the background is powerful. ...Even if AVALANCHE is spelled wrong. So, again, both games offer different things. Even the battle systems have their own rhythm that differ.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
nooRZru.gif

Top Bottom