SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
I haven't read the last few pages but I have to say

I'm legitimately surprised that SE wrote Cloud kissing one of his love interests. On one hand, this shouldn't be that big of a shock since it's implied he sleeps with Tifa in the original but that was the original and in polygons. Since then, it's felt like SE has tried really hard to make Cloud really chaste and sterile as far as romance goes. Nojima said he always imagined that a sequel to FF7 would have Cloud and Tifa together yet both AC and OWTAS felt lacking in intimacy. Even on the clerith side, when you saw the apperances they'd have in spinoff games, it was always very cold or super tragic. It's like all intimate actions from Cloud were removed. That's why seeing him actually kiss someone on-screen feels so weird but it also feels so gratifying. About damn time
My favourite part of it is
how awkward the kiss looks and what they're like afterwards. Because ultimately 'true' Cloud is just a massive dork and so I am so here for that dorky awkwardness lmao

Broseph

Lv. 1 Adventurer
My favourite part of it is
how awkward the kiss looks and what they're like afterwards. Because ultimately 'true' Cloud is just a massive dork and so I am so here for that dorky awkwardness lmao
Honestly didn't think the kiss itself was really awkward but actually very romantic. Felt right out of the entries like FF8 or FF10 in how the romance was presented. But absolutely when it comes to right after. The awkwardness where both of them can barely look at the other is so in character and so accurate to Cloud (and Tifa's) character haha. That was probably Cloud's first ever kiss and being the dork he is, he has no idea what to do next

Reactions: Nal

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
Honestly didn't think the kiss itself was really awkward but actually very romantic. Felt right out of the entries like FF8 or FF10 in how the romance was presented. But absolutely when it comes to right after. The awkwardness where both of them can barely look at the other is so in character and so accurate to Cloud (and Tifa's) character haha. That was probably Cloud's first ever kiss and being the dork he is, he has no idea what to do next
yeah I more mean like.. how he pulls her in for a hug like he needs a second more to work up the nerve for the main event. It's so adorable and yeah I meant awkward like 'first kiss vibes' not the bad kind.

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
We definitely did keep hearing that, but we didn't know exactly what they meant by equal. They don't need to get the exact same kind of moments to get equal treatment.
Very true. It's also more or less the same verbiage they used for Remake iirc. Could refer to raw quantities of cutscenes, missions, dialogue choices etc. But not necessarily plot or characterization.

I'm still shocked though. And maybe a bit sad? I'm not 100% sure what Aerith's state of mind is after that date, but it sure sounds like she was heartbroken. Regardless if she's in some quantum superposition between Cloud and Zack, she's gotta be a hot mess. And barring some undead relationship development in part 3* it's not how I wanted her to go out. At any rate, I never thought the devs would go that direction.

*Yeah I know. I've got to get over dead people living their lives. Maybe I can finally enjoy AC after turning the corner here.

loozzer

Pro Adventurer
Very true. It's also more or less the same verbiage they used for Remake iirc. Could refer to raw quantities of cutscenes, missions, dialogue choices etc. But not necessarily plot or characterization.

I'm still shocked though. And maybe a bit sad? I'm not 100% sure what Aerith's state of mind is after that date, but it sure sounds like she was heartbroken. Regardless if she's in some quantum superposition between Cloud and Zack, she's gotta be a hot mess. And barring some undead relationship development in part 3* it's not how I wanted her to go out. At any rate, I never thought the devs would go that direction.

*Yeah I know. I've got to get over dead people living their lives. Maybe I can finally enjoy AC after turning the corner here.
I'm sure aerith will show up in part 3 and get a proper happy ending. they're not gonna do her dirty like that. I would love it if
she helps tifa in the lifestream when tifa's getting overwhelmed with all the voices and plops her into cloud's subconscious. I think we will also get a proper version of her death and funeral. there's no way they're leaving such an iconic moment out

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate

I love that they're going this route. It provides different characterizations for the characters. I honestly hate when characters get the exact same kind of outcomes. It's so unrealistic. Yes it's a fantasy game, but it's also a reflection of real life.

Ff15 has my favorite story/ending

Maidenofwar

They/Them
I don't want to wait another four years for
Aerith and Zack to finally have a conversation that does not feature Cloud
😛

Last edited:

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
Wow! This page is buzzing with activity, and the game hasn't even been released yet! Really great to see because I do enjoy debate the LTD and the absurdity of it... it's kind of fun! :sweatsmile: Also, it's nice to see many familiar usernames back around here (I'm saying this as if I haven't disappeared for three years and only returned closer to the release date, lol).

Rfcloud88

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Ichie
Hmmm I have an update about this
so basically on their last dream date together, npcs throughout the date will tell aerith that she and cloud are not meant to be together. the person I heard this from said that it was pretty harsh. one of the npcs says something along the lines of theres no spark between cloud and aerith.

Again I have not seen the actual video or dialogue for this but I know this person pretty well and don't think they would lie.
Sorry what’s npcs?

Kigan

Rookie Adventurer
My memory fails me but I think they changed it to something like the other kids wouldn't let him in, not specifically Tifa.

That doesn't mean Tifa was interested in him. Tifa has no fault, there's freedom of association, but let's not pretend Tifa simply didn't let him in the group because he didn't ask or the other kids bullied her into ostracizing Cloud. She just didn't particularly care about Cloud.
He coped by lying to himself about being superior (narcissism often is a sign of loneliness), Tifa retroactively headcanons this childhood friendship because she got a crush on a stranger.
of "popular girl surrounded by boys doesn't give loner weirdo the time of day"
Which is pretty much what it was.
I'm starting to think this is the bone of contention when it comes to Tifa.

It reminds me of another character: Beatrix from Final Fantasy IX (except Beatrix objectively deserves heavy criticism).
I can think of two or three reasons why.

As for the date interpretation: media literacy is definitely some people's weak point.

Cloud looks away like he's about to cry when he assumes Aerith asked about Zack because he thinks it's about love and not him having mental problems. She comforts him immediately and he gets incredibly shy and can't even look at her just for holding her hand.

People expecting a kiss make me cringe because the point is that they were quickly growing fond of each other but his insanity and her passing stopped the relationship dead in its tracks before it could develop into something more.
Regret is the key to their story, not just guilt.

But doing it this way, the loss would have felt too contrived. I wanted to express a loss where one felt there was so much more to talk about. You wanted to speak with her, but she is no longer there.”
If you think about it, Cloud losing a new friend of a few weeks would be no different than losing Jessie.
Her death simply doesn't work without mutual love involved, end of story.
Zack is a completely different deal, now that's a friend whose loss sends you over the edge.

Attachments

• HP6tD0t.png
    HP6tD0t.png
    263.8 KB · Views: 35
  • K6NAxeE.png
    K6NAxeE.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 36

Nal

Pro Adventurer
That doesn't mean Tifa was interested in him. Tifa has no fault, there's freedom of association, but let's not pretend Tifa simply didn't let him in the group because he didn't ask or the other kids bullied her into ostracizing Cloud. She just didn't particularly care about Cloud.
He coped by lying to himself about being superior (narcissism often is a sign of loneliness), Tifa retroactively headcanons this childhood friendship because she got a crush on a stranger.

It reminds me of another character: Beatrix from Final Fantasy IX (except Beatrix objectively deserves heavy criticism).

As for the date interpretation: media literacy is definitely some people's weak point.

Cloud looks away like he's about to cry when he assumes Aerith asked about Zack because he thinks it's about love and not him having mental problems. She comforts him immediately and he gets incredibly shy and can't even look at her just for holding her hand.

People expecting a kiss make me cringe because the point is that they were quickly growing fond of each other but his insanity and her passing stopped the relationship dead in its tracks before it could develop into something more.

If you think about it, Cloud losing a new friend of a few weeks would be no different than losing Jessie.
Zack is a completely different deal, now that's a friend whose loss sends you over the edge.
Dude just read traces of two pasts and you find out what Tifa thought of Cloud as a kid heres a quote though
"When they were younger, she and Cloud used to play together a lot. Their houses were right next to each other, and it was easy to go back and forth."

“Cloud has such a beautiful face,” her mother once complimented him at the dining table. Did that happen when she was seven, or was it eight? For some reason that compliment made her feel happy and a bit shy.

Nal

Pro Adventurer

Also why is it you say that losing a friend who you have spent time with throughout the game would only affect Cloud if he was in Love. love is not only romantic by that arguement the time he spent with Aerith being a few weeks would not matter it does though and
spoiler Avalanches deaths do affect him in this game

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
Dude just read traces of two pasts and you find out what Tifa thought of Cloud as a kid heres a quote though
"When they were younger, she and Cloud used to play together a lot. Their houses were right next to each other, and it was easy to go back and forth."

“Cloud has such a beautiful face,” her mother once complimented him at the dining table. Did that happen when she was seven, or was it eight? For some reason that compliment made her feel happy and a bit shy.
I was just about to say, why do people always forget that Tifa and Cloud were close initially. It's supposedly only after Cloud starts developing a romantic interest in Tifa and he becomes more possessive that the two grow apart.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
This would only be true if all bonds were the same, but there is more than just friendship and romantic love. Aeriths death comes with a whole host of baggage that jessies doesn't, and is far more symbolical of the death of Clouds mother than Jessies death was. Aerith had a very unique impact on him that is distinct from Jessies. That doesn't make it romantic, which honestly would be the shallowest reason to be upset.

Nal

Pro Adventurer
I was just about to say, why do people always forget that Tifa and Cloud were close initially. It's supposedly only after Cloud starts developing a romantic interest in Tifa and he becomes more possessive that the two grow apart.
It's not like in OG Cloud literally says I thought those kids were weird but i was the weird one. And the whole plot about him failing to save tifa from the bridge causing him to feel insecure. You know the whole livestream sequence?????? Tifa didn't do anything to leave out cloud. Cloud did it to himself. And that is the end of the story

"When did Cloud start to drift away from everyone? Did something happen between him and the other boys? What was clear in her mind was that it must have had something to do with that disaster incident that happened because of her mother’s death. But he stopped coming over to play even before then.

“I wonder why…”. Nojimi really wrote this book cause he hated that argument 😂

billy22

Pro Adventurer
Nal already mentioned Traces but-

Saying that Cloud "looks like he was about to cry when he thinks Aerith is talking about being in love with Zack" is a MASSIVE reach. Particularly when she demonstrates clear romantic interest repeatedly and the dude just either just pulls away, or still engages in some romantic interaction ie the handholding. You can't have it both it ways, either he understands how she feels and is leading her on because he's a dick, or he simply doesn't have strong romantic interest.

I'm of the mind the writers don't want us to think Cloud is an asshole to women, so I'll take the latter.

The biggest reason it's a point of emphasis is that her chief rival gets a smooch. This despite being shy, and despite not having her big character arc yet. Whereas this is Aerith's swan song. She should be the one getting the kiss here, or something equivalent.

But no, they did none of those things. Why? Why does the shy girl who is still alive get a clear initiated kiss from Cloud? Why doesn't the girl who dies get an equivalent? Not even a peck on the cheek? Just some mild teases with the trip & fall, handholding, and hug at the end?

This was a deliberate decision on the developer's part. These people sat in a room and decided to make Cloud kiss the shy girl who gets to live for Part 3, but not the one he supposedly "truly loves" and also still dies. They could have made up any reason they wanted to make it happen...and didn't.

If they did not kiss in this game, I can't see him kissing her ghost in part 3 either. I suppose multi-timeline shenanigans are in play, but we still haven't got the Zack/Aerith stuff and I have a strong hunch they're going to be hamming that up in the finale. In the meantime Tifa still has the Highwind tango to get to...

Nal

Pro Adventurer
Do not post untagged Rebirth Spoilers in LTD thread.
[spoilers]

Saying that Cloud "looks like he was about to cry when he thinks Aerith is talking about being in love with Zack" is a MASSIVE reach. Particularly when she demonstrates clear romantic interest repeatedly and the dude just either just pulls away, or still engages in some romantic interaction ie the handholding. You can't have it both it ways, either he understands how she feels and is leading her own because he's a dick, or he simply doesn't have strong romantic interest.

I'm of the mind the writers don't want us to think Cloud is an asshole to women, so I'll take the latter.

The biggest reason it's a point of emphasis is that her chief rival gets a smooch. This despite being shy, and despite not having her big character arc yet. Whereas this is Aerith's swan song. She should be the one getting the kiss here, or something equivalent.

But no, they did none of those things. Why? Why does the shy girl who is still alive get a clear initiated kiss from Cloud? Why doesn't the girl who dies get an equivalent? Not even a peck on the cheek? Just some mild teases with the trip & fall, handholding, and hug at the end?

This was a deliberate decision on the developer's part. These people sat in a room and decided to make Cloud kiss the shy girl who gets to live for Part 3, but not the one he supposedly "truly loves" and also still dies. They could have made up any reason they wanted to make it happen...and didn't.

If they did not kiss in this game, I can't see him kissing her ghost in part 3 either. I suppose multi-timeline shenanigans are in play, but we still haven't got the Zack/Aerith stuff and I have a strong hunch they're going to be hamming that up in the finale. In the meantime Tifa still has the Highwind tango to get to...
That reminds me Aerith said in the date she wants to be with cloud. If he was so jealous he would just have kissed her there but he doesn't?
We can't pick and choose clouds character being an ass or not if Tifa is as they say only a rebound (she's not) then he would have also kissed Aerith once she tells him she wants to be with him?

Edited to include spoiler tags - Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hix

Pro Adventurer

Saying that Cloud "looks like he was about to cry when he thinks Aerith is talking about being in love with Zack" is a MASSIVE reach. Particularly when she demonstrates clear romantic interest repeatedly and the dude just either just pulls away, or still engages in some romantic interaction ie the handholding. You can't have it both it ways, either he understands how she feels and is leading her on because he's a dick, or he simply doesn't have strong romantic interest.

[/ISPOILER]

This highlights my biggest issue with Cloud and Aerith being romantically involved, vis, how many hoops must be jumped through to make it even somewhat likely, it falls foul of occam's razor at almost every turn.

You have to ignore the events of Crisis Core and the existence of Zack, a much easier thing to do when he wasn't walking around.
You have to ignore Tifa and her shared feelings/history with Cloud and, in doing so, completely invalidate her character.
You have to start seriously revising events after Aerith's death or, also, just ignore them - included in that is a major overhaul of the intents and consequences of the Lifestream sequence, a part of the game where Tifa literally dives into the deepest parts of Cloud's subconscious and learns he loves her (let's focus on the kids maybe excluded Cloud and ignore that though)

It never ends.

How are people not exhausted by continually putting out fires on this? Remake was even more overtly "Cloti" than ever and now Rebirth all the more so, this isn't by accident, it's by design.

shady

Pro Adventurer
If you watch the date with Tifa when he says;

"Touchy subject huh? She must still have feelings for Zack"

This is him working out why they haven't spoken to each other about it (of course they both lie about this)

1. He is okay saying this infront of Tifa because he's digging for more information about Zack and is basically asking her is this the reason why you didn't bring it up? She says it's a bit more complicated than that, it's obviously referencing they don't really want to approach the subject with Cloud because they know something weird is going on with Cloud/Zack, that's why they BOTH lie about it and not just one of them. He's not asking because he's digging for more information about Aerith's feelings

2. IF he is truly jealous and digging wanting to know where Aerith stands on Zack it would make more sense for him to to ask Aerith in this moment instead of Tifa if she still has feelings for Zack, the reason he only brings it up to Tifa and not Aerith is because in both scenarios he works out by himself that it's a touchy subject and because Cloud has enough TACT to not say these words infront of Aerith incase it upsets her, how is this not stupidly obvious?

3. The emotions on Cloud's face and Cody's line delivery of this line are about as neutral as you can possibly get, the camera doesn't even bother to show you the emotions running through Cloud's face because he basically doesn't have any, it's just a STATEMENT it isn't some anger and jealousy fueled comment, if you somehow get that from the line delivery and the fact the camera can't even be bothered to change to look at Cloud's face then it's inconsequential.

4. Let's contrast that with the extreme close up of Cloud's face as he says "Not one BIT" to Tifa, why does the camera do this? Because the intent this time IS to show you the emotions on Cloud's face because there is something to be emotional about, coupled with Cody's delivery and the emphasis on the word BIT, it's intent is to show the player how unwavering and steely his determination is to let Tifa know she is not getting ahead of herself and that he feels the same, because in the previous shot -- BODY LANGUAGE 101 -- you can see she is clammed up and folding in on herself and this is why it's important for the player to see Cloud taking the lead and showing Tifa that she can trust in him with her feelings.

Please gain some basic media literacy, go read some literature, go watch a film, go speak to real people in the real world, it's getting embarassing now.

Last edited:

faefolk

Pro Adventurer
This highlights my biggest issue with Cloud and Aerith being romantically involved, vis, how many hoops must be jumped through to make it even somewhat likely, it falls foul of occam's razor at almost every turn.

You have to ignore the events of Crisis Core and the existence of Zack, a much easier thing to do when he wasn't walking around.
You have to ignore Tifa and her shared feelings/history with Cloud and, in doing so, completely invalidate her character.
You have to start seriously revising events after Aerith's death or, also, just ignore them - included in that is a major overhaul of the intents and consequences of the Lifestream sequence, a part of the game where Tifa literally dives into the deepest parts of Cloud's subconscious and learns he loves her (let's focus on the kids maybe excluded Cloud and ignore that though)

It never ends.

How are people not exhausted by continually putting out fires on this? Remake was even more overtly "Cloti" than ever and now Rebirth all the more so, this isn't by accident, it's by design.
All of this is why I didn't identifying as a 'shipper' for the longest time. Because I didn't ever see Aerith as a valid choice from a narrative perspective. My assumption was always just that Cloud and Tifa are romantic in the story and were the canon pairing at the end. It's not like it's an uncommon plot where there is a potential other love interest earlier in a story. There are tonnes of books like this. Some of them they're actually officially with another person prior to the end. But the canon pairing is always who the protagonist ends up with in the end. That's always, always been Tifa. So I hate identifying as a shipper tbh and only really argue with people because it frustrates me that they don't understand how stories function.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie

It never ends.

yeah, I'm continuously astounded by how much effort people put into this. It would be so much easier to just go "yeah, I know Cloud and Tifa are a thing, I am not trying to say AerithxCloud is the story, it's just something I personally like as an idea" and it would be totally valid without any of these hoops.
If you like Aerith and Cloud, why on earth would you ship them together? Which essentially screws over everyone including them? Aeriths dead so it will never happen, so that way only pain lies.
I mean, it's bad enough that it royally screws over Tifa and Zack and I have no idea why you'd want that. But even Cloud and Aerith are just better off with their respective partners than together.
I will just never understand this one. The only conclusion I can come to is that people ship it simply because they shipped it before aeriths death and all the reveals, and now the only reason they continue is a stubborn refusal to just let it go.

Maidenofwar

They/Them
Well the reason I don't ship Zerith as main ship is because
even in Rebirth they as adults don't have a conversation that is about them and their relationship and not Cloud

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
Well the reason I don't ship Zerith as main ship is because
even in Rebirth they as adults don't have a conversation that is about them and their relationship and not Cloud
Well, they do in Crisis Core. But I agree that if that is indeed the case in Rebirth, and perhaps more importantly, part 3, that that is extremely F-ing stupid. Stupid to the point where it by itself is arguably enough to justify calling this entire thing a trash story. There is not a single way where you can have Aerith and Zacks reunion not be about Aerith and Zack that is not such bad writing that it's just insulting to the audiences intellect.

To me though, stuff like that is honestly why I loathe Clerith so much as a concept. Even if Cloud and Aerith are a thing, then Zack and Aeriths reunion should still be about Zack and Aerith. So to me it just reinforces my feeling that Clerith just fundamentally harms the product, making me dislike it.

Top Bottom