SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Let's leave aside that Marlene and Zack's conversation is done teasingly and is stereotypical of the sort of thing girls of that age do. I think it's safe to conclude she spoke the truth regardless: Aerith likes Cloud. She says so herself. Her entire arc culminates in her realizing she does like Cloud but doesn't quite like-like him; after two whole games of continually forcing him to be the Zack she's yearned for ever since the real thing abruptly exited her life. Again, as the devs have now repeated for the slower among us, there are various different levels of relationship and liking at play in the games.
One thing to note about what Marlene is saying to Zack. Yes, she says Aerith likes Cloud, but she ends it with "because you weren't there."

I think that's an important piece of dialogue to acknowledge when talking about Aerith's feelings for Zack. It adds more nuance

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
One thing to note about what Marlene is saying to Zack. Yes, she says Aerith likes Cloud, but she ends it with "because you weren't there."

I think that's an important piece of dialogue to acknowledge when talking about Aerith's feelings for Zack. It adds more nuance
It's not like that in JP.
If we dont like Ben Sabin taking too much liberty, we should be fair on that line too.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I think the point is Marlene says it teasingly. It’s not meant to be “she likes Cloud because you were gone”.

It’s meant to be “you didn’t know because you weren’t there to see their romance.”

That being said, even the latter doesn’t really “prove” that Zack/Aerith has moved on.

Reactions: LNK

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
Wait, are we only analyzing what's in JP?

Who's Ben Sabin?
The EN translator name.
I keep seeing people dont like EN translation because it's not faithful to original JP.
And they are so many lines that are inaccurate.

Marlene say "Aerith 'suki' Cloud"
Since "suki" for 4 years old kid can be translated as "I like pancake" so Zack follow up with "hyu~ hyu~ dane?" to give connotation that what he means is "romantic suki" and Marlene repeat his line "hyu~ hyu~"

liuliuliu

Pro Adventurer
while I didn’t see the interview where toriyama said ch14 resolution was also Aerith telling herself it is not real.
If that is true, it actually makes sense for me. In Chinese translation she said “错觉”. The word choose is interesting here because it specifically means “it is a wrong impression. your brain mistakenly think something is correct but it is actually not like what you think”. I always thought she means “if cloud feels like he likes her, it is not true.(as he doesn’t like her at all)” But I think it make sense if she is talking about her own feeling, the difference between “liking” and “liking”. The feeling is there, she likes him, but not the way that she think she “likes” him.

It could be just something accidentally added to the translation though.

EDIt: I think the Chinese translation for FF7re is on the point…a lot of time it looks like word to word translation so it doesn’t sounds natural. But it gets most of the information correctly without adding translator’s interpretation at all. it doesn’t work well sometimes like in Tifa’s date it is literally the worst translation I have ever seen…

Last edited:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
The EN translator name.
I keep seeing people dont like EN translation because it's not faithful to original JP.
And they are so many lines that are inaccurate.
I see. With that said, I'm not one of them. I'm not fluent in japanese, so I can only go by what I can speak/read, and the version I played.

Unless everyone is going to agree to use the japanese version to have any of these discussions, I think the fact that there's translation inaccuracies in all other languages, is irrelevant.

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
Marlene can't be undermined, her official character background material cites her as insightful.
And she's what? Like 5 years old? Even if her character background says she's insightful, that can only take her so far at her age. That type of thing changes and expands with age, after all.

Not to undermine her. What Marlene says just confirms what Aerith herself says: she likes Cloud. Romantically or not, she likes him.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Overall, Marlene's insight only goes so far and she's not saying anything new for the player, anyway. She's just an innocent way to introduce more angst and pining for Zerith before they reunite in part 3.
This is exactly what this scene is for. Just like the Kalm fight between Cloud and Tifa was for them to reconcile later on in Under Junon and more. This is ROMANCE DRAMA 101. Tension that has to be resolved - for Zack, Aerith but ALSO for the player as it will explain Aerith's feelings after her death: is she in love with Cloud? With Zack? With both?

billy22

Pro Adventurer
The devs talking about the "special Tifa date" and giggling about it like a bunch of gossiping high schoolers made me lol.

c.lupara

Pro Adventurer
This is exactly what this scene is for. Just like the Kalm fight between Cloud and Tifa was for them to reconcile later on in Under Junon and more. This is ROMANCE DRAMA 101. Tension that has to be resolved - for Zack, Aerith but ALSO for the player as it will explain Aerith's feelings after her death: is she in love with Cloud? With Zack? With both?
The Marlene issue is probably a (bad) build-up for Zack and Aerith's reunion;
logically if Aerith says "there's liking and liking" it means that she likes Cloud but doesn't like him romantically otherwise she would have stopped at "I like you".
So logically when Zack and Aerith meet again he will bring up this question and she, repeating the same sentence, will add a but you etc etc.

Reactions: LNK

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Eh the Marlene comment is most probably a reintroduction of her scene in the OG where she talks about Aerith's feelings about Cloud. Honestly it's not that deep and it's ok, she's just a 4 years old girl. She is most probably a Lifestream memory to in this world so yeah. Her knowledge doesn't include the sector 5 dream, but we're still supposed to understand that it is a limited knowledge. It's Aerith herself, whichever version that was, who sows herself doubts in her own feelings.

Zack has no way to know if Cloud reciprocate, but the fact that he resents him for stealing his girlfriend is quite understandable; he may be a good guy but he's been quite wounded.

Something I wondered BTW, is that the CC church at the end? I'm having a theory about it and wondering.

Reactions: Rin

shady

Pro Adventurer
Marlene says Aerith likes Cloud
Aerith herself says she likes Cloud but then clarifies that she doesn't know what kind of like that is

It's consistent, more likely to create angst for Zack due to their inevitable reunion. Taking the word of a 4/5 year old on romance is a pretty interesting take. As interesting a take as people who think Zack is now the wingman of Cloud and Aerith being together, absolute delusion.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Aerith herself says she likes Cloud but then clarifies that she doesn't know what kind of like that is

It's consistent, more likely to create angst for Zack due to their inevitable reunion. Taking the word of a 4/5 year old on romance is a pretty interesting take. As interesting a take as people who think Zack is now the wingman of Cloud and Aerith being together, absolute delusion.
Wingman is an interesting take. I think it’s more of a sad acceptance. He’s sad that she has feelings for Cloud but he also cares for both of them. A little bit of resentment is a human response but in the end, he’d probably rather see Aerith happy then get in the way.

Which is why their reunion will be all the sweeter.

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
Once you no longer live in a fantasy, what you have left is reality.

This is one of my favorite quotes from Cloud i sometimes used for C/A ( just to end argument) the last date for me is a realization from Aerith she cannot live in this fantasy anymore and even with 'someone' like him he's not a replacement --> hence she focused on her duties as cetra

she left the group in the forgotten city because for me she realize that CLOUD with JENOVA inside him is distraction she needed to pray for holy and communicate with planet to defeat Sephiroth. She didnt plan to die but she has become a treat to Sephy now hence she have to be kebab.

Her future self in Remake's resolution already tell her "You can't fall in love with me. Even if you have, it's not real."
And Toriyama said she also speak to herself.

I'm not good with analyzing future and past Aerith self... sorry but I'll take note of this.

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
In JP, Zack said "すこし憎たらしいけどね (I guess I hate you a little)" 憎 (Niku) is basically hate; can be translated as detest, awful, horrid, odious.

where is this line can you enlighted me?? Is this on the last battle with sephiroth?? I heard that the body language and tone use there is more like greeting a sempai to his younger colleague ( how guys met each other ) . They dont usually use good words to greet each other instead of praising them they're using 'negative words' or 'hardcore' cuz you're not a child anymore..

"Dude heard you've been busy kinda hate you for that.." - kinda like this

--> Source

the JP translation kinda makes sense on that scene C/A are just exacerbating it

彼女は彼のことが好きですか - does she like him?

The word is すき suki - like This can be used in different ways same with 'like' I like my boyfriend ( romantic way ) I also like @eleamaya ( friendly way) I like sushi, I like yakitori ( foods)

Zack ask Marlene is she 'suki' Cloud (he's referring to the romantic way)

Marlene answered in a non romantic 'suki' answer

Thats why Zack is suprised but this is a 4 y/o hence he needed to explain 'kyu - kyu dane' referring to romantic elements and marlene just repeated them.

Its just a 4 year old saying to Zack that Aerith likes Cloud. Yes, but in her eyes she also likes everyone. Unable to fully process the 'romantic - adult type of liking.." - she got this from Aerith vision right? ( MAYBE?) soo if that's the case then its still a confusing kinda like because Aerith herself dont know it too until the last date.

Last edited:

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
Replace Cloud with extreme Clerith shippers.
Not really working with that example.

All I'm saying is just even if Marlene knows everything and Aerith loves Cloud. And then Zack is hurt but made his peace and accept to let her go. NOTHING CHANGES. She'll still be alone with her feelings because Cloud doesn't love her this way. Rebirth made this pretty clear.

Like Cloud would say : "Not interested."

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Not really working with that example.

All I'm saying is just even if Marlene knows everything and Aerith loves Cloud. And then Zack is hurt but made his peace and accept to let her go. NOTHING CHANGES. She'll still be alone with her feelings because Cloud doesn't love her this way. Rebirth made this pretty clear.

Like Cloud would say : "Not interested."
I was just making a joke lol.

But I guess, yeah. At the end of the day, Aerith is kinda in Zack’s position too in a sense. Imagine Marlene tells her Cloud likes Tifa, since childhood. Well, I guess in a sense, Aerith already knew that.

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme

- probably another joke ( sorry slow if it is..) but yeah the word is 'Suki" - like different from Love Zack didnt ask if she ( Aerith ) loves' him ( Cloud) and that word can be used in a different way.

Top Bottom