SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
I am pretty sure that no-one in this thread was intentionally trying to mock or have hate in their hearts when discussing this new information. However, you have to admit that this entire NPTK has been thrown in the C/T side of the triangle faces ever since the game has been released. I believe it has been brought up here in this thread a couple of times and has been a constant point of contention.

Having the Devs finally break their silence to articulate what they were trying to get across. (apparently they have initially failed miserably if somehow this song was interpreted as a Love Song to Cloud and Cloud alone) which as we have recently found out to be far from the truth.

Nojima has always had a way of being ambiguous whenever it comes to the LTD. He preferred to leave it up to the consumer to who likes who. But what he wasn't counting on was the immaturity of the entire fandom who can't handle someone who has a different opinion. This goes for both C/A and C/T.

Sometimes you have to bring the receipts and this was one of those times.
I didn't mention anyone in particular or a specific event precisely because I was generally speaking about what's been happening here for a while now and, while I understand that it may not have been the intention, when someone brings a comment from Twitter/other sites that doesn't really add anything to the discussion other than being, most of the time, an absurd interpretation, it does feel like it was added here merely so other people can laugh at the expense of said comment. My previous post was about this types of situation.

That said (and correct me if I'm wrong), but from your comment, it feels like you interpreted my post as 'don't bring anything from Twitter ever', which wasn't the case at all. If it's new info, interpretation, discovery, whatever, personally I don't see an issue at all, as they all relevant things that do add a lot to the discussions. This and situations I mentioned in my previous post ( and above) are completely different things.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
Aerith doesn't need her character enhanced, her character was already enhanced in many areas of the game. People can accuse others of not liking Aerith all they want, but some already saw and loved her in all those other scenes, while still wanting something special of their own too.
I don't know what you mean. The song doesn't make sense narratively as a CA love song, which is why people were pushing back on that idea in the first place. Knowing that it was never intended to be a CA love song isn't taking anything away because it would've had to have its meaning changed for that to be possible.

While I'm happy you saw the depth in Aerith from the start, other people were worried about her character journey. This interview reaffirmed that the devs know Aerith inside and out, that she is someone who loves life and ALL her friends and family. That isn't a negative for any Aerith fan, regardless of shipping preference.

I understand being disappointed since you were heavy on the "NPTK is a love song about CA" and that got debunked by the man who wrote the song, but why is Aerith singing for her mothers and her friends a bad thing? This doesn't change the fact that you can get the CA date, this doesn't change the CA-specific side quests, this doesn't change any other CA-specific moments. It doesn't change anything, other than Aerith isn't singing a song for a man who can watch her perform it while holding hands with another woman. Narratively, that's a good thing.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
CAs would be the first one to complain on Nojima being misogyny if the song was about Zack but now that its been confirmed that her theme song is about all the people she loved and about herself as well, they're still mad and call the devs liars ???
Because they don't care about Aerith. They never have. They just see their "love story" and nothing else.
Zack is the ennemy. Tifa is the ennemy. They would approve the worst fan-fiction ever made if it would allow their ship. They're not here for the story, the universe, the characters. All they want is their weird Romeo x Juliet. Hell, some are not even playing the games.

I’ll tell you one thing, if Tifa did not end up with Cloud at the end.., she would still be my favorite character. I like her for more than the fact that she’s part of a ship I like. She does a whole lot, separate from Cloud, that I find awesome and endearing. Like when she’s worried about Marlene, who realizes Barret isn’t coming home that night as an example.
Exactly. It just so happens that the game's storyline calls for her to play an important role in the hero's journey. But I love her even without Cloud around. She's pretty, she kicks ass with her punch (personal kink but whatever) she's sweet and always caring. And I love that Rebirth is trying to show her bad side too. The way she wants to be loved by everyone. It's just great.

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
That said (and correct me if I'm wrong), but from your comment, it feels like you interpreted my post as 'don't bring anything from Twitter ever', which wasn't the case at all.

Your assumption was correct. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

My reasoning for that was because there was a comment a couple of scores back in the thread that didn't want anything brought from Twitter because it was felt that it was being brought up to mock and be condescending towards a ship, which was never the case it was just used to strengthen the argument against a particular point that was being misunderstood.

I meant no harm and no foul and I apologize.

Maidenofwar

They/Them
CA had the love song, and CT had the kiss. Nah, for me it would be like coming out and agreeing the takes that the date was about Aerith, Zack, Cloud and Tifa were correct.

Uematsu even said he hoped it was a love song that became a love song standard a standard for all love songs. Well I only go by what I am told, and officially they were rolling with it's a love song for a while. So now they go with it's not.

It was a big non optional moment. The side quests, date, etc, anything optional doesn't hold as much weight in debate.

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
There are several things said. Nojima also basically says (paraphrase )"Nothing wrong with a love song and it does have elements of that" but that he also intended it to not be about just one person alone and made the lyrics broad (end paraphrase) he is not contradicting himself. He is saying it's not meant to be about just one person or relationship but to include all of them that are important for her. He said himself there are aspects of a love song but that's just not the whole purpose. It's about her.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
CA had the love song, and CT had the kiss. Nah, for me it would be like coming out and agreeing the takes that the date was about Aerith, Zack, Cloud and Tifa were correct.

Uematsu even said he hoped it was a love song that became a love song standard a standard for all love songs. Well I only go by what I am told, and officially they were rolling with it's a love song for a while. So now they go with it's not.

It was a big non optional moment. The side quests, date, etc, anything optional doesn't hold as much weight in debate.
To be fair, even without the song. Cloud and Aerith do have that moment in Chapter 14 in the “inter-space” or whatever it’s called. Lifestream White?

Reactions: LNK

CldS7

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Luffy76

You have to be capping??? Saying the song is about Aeriths bonds and relationships is the same as saying Cloud asked about Zack in both dates cause he’s jealous and so he gave a jealous kiss???

It literally still can mean Aeriths love for Cloud. But she can love everyone else as well

How is that the same as saying Cloud was jealous of Zack. Pls be serious

Rin

Pro Adventurer

But it IS a love song. It's a love song for ALL the people Aerith loves, not just one.

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
Your assumption was correct. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

My reasoning for that was because there was a comment a couple of scores back in the thread that didn't want anything brought from Twitter because it was felt that it was being brought up to mock and be condescending towards a ship, which was never the case it was just used to strengthen the argument against a particular point that was being misunderstood.

I meant no harm and no foul and I apologize.

No worries! :) And again, I personally don't see a problem when bring things from there when it's relevant/interesting since twitter is still the main source for ffvii infos, after all. We just need to be more mindful about what we are bringing from there, that's all.

CldS7

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Luffy76
Clds7 keep your personal attacks out of the thread, and to yourself. Nobody wants your mocking.

I’m not mocking anything

I’m asking why you think saying the song is Aerith singing about her love for everyone INCLUDING cloud

Is the same thing as saying Cloud was jealous of Zack that’s why he brings him up in dates…..

And pls @ me or quote me if you’re speaking to me….

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Why do they even want a Romeo x Juliet-esque story? Might be in the minority on this, but it's a terrible love story :mon:
To be fair, it’s a tragedy not a romance. And it’s actually more about the feud between their two families than it is about them.

I think people nowadays regard it as a star-crossed love but I don’t think Shakespeare’s message was about that really.

Dunno why I wanted to defend Romeo and Juliet but here we are.

Ruri

Pro Adventurer
You cannot have NPTK just about Cloud when Aerith has a history and a story before the two weeks she met and said goodbye to Cloud. Take off the pink glasses for a second and actually give Aerith some room to be a character that doesn't revolve around planet Cloud. It's not complex and it isn't an attack on their relationship. It's really simple. I think the problem lies with the people who grew overly attached to giving their own meaning to an obscure song and are now reacting in the wrong direction in light of the recent news.

Also @Maidenofwar , this isn't aimed only at you, mostly for the fandom you represent too. You cannot claim to have NPTK taken away, when Nojima just clarified it was never Cloud and Aerith's to begin with.

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
To be fair, it’s a tragedy not a romance. And it’s actually more about the feud between their two families than it is about them
I also think it's a tragedy (and a bit of a cautionary tale).

I think people nowadays regard it as a star-crossed love but I don’t think Shakespeare’s message was about that really.
I hope not (on Shakespeare's message), 'cause it's the interpretation that it's a romance that I find terrible as a story xP

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I also think it's a tragedy (and a bit of a cautionary tale).

I hope not, 'cause it's the interpretation that it's a love story that I find terrible as a story xP
I think the point of the story is actually that warring factions can fail to see what is truly important, which is the people that exist within them, and this divide will only create a vicious cycle of tragedy.

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
Why do they even want a Romeo x Juliet-esque story? Might be in the minority on this, but it's a terrible love story :mon:
1711988658338.png
Zerith is more star-crossed lovers.
And I see Tseng has similar role to Lawrence here; to unite the two with letter but failed.
The difference is:
  • one committing suicide so they dont reunite in heaven as they want since committing suicide is a sin
  • one being brutally murdered and rewarded to reunite

Rin

Pro Adventurer

Sorry, going back to this because I didn't respond to the whole message but I don't get why you need a big non optional moment for debate, anyway. Like what would this love song even be a direct parallel to for the Tifa camp? The almost-kiss in Gongaga? I wouldn't say those two are on equal footing because you can't change anything in the Gongaga scene the way you can with Aerith's performance.

The song was never a good thing to use for debate because Aerith can sing it while Cloud holds hands with Tifa like a couple which undermines the whole idea that she's singing it for him, in my opinion, cause that makes him look like a callous asshole.

Uematsu didn't write the song, so his opinion on it should've been taken with a grain of salt from the start. Art is interpretive, that's why so many fans had different takes on the song. I'm sorry that your interpretation got debunked, but overall it's a win for Aerith.

Last edited:

liuliuliu

Pro Adventurer
the argument is getting weird here. Why do you think it is a bad thing for the song to be about everyone Aerith loves? She is a character but she has a live before she meets Cloud. It is not even about Zack, it is also about her mother and Elmyra. Both of them she didn’t get a chance to say goodbye.
It feels like CAs only want Aerith to have and only have a love life, where everything she does resolves around her feelings for Cloud, but the author says “yah, she has a live that is not resolved around romance”

Top Bottom