General Square Enix Thread

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
"Form a cult around him like they did with Yoshi-P" is a very good sentence.
Difference is that players that have tried Yoshi-P games knows he brings excellent results to the table, not simply because he is charismatic. Obviously, that doesnt justify blinding belief in every word he says.

So the comparison is iffy since its too soon to know shit about the new CEO.

ph14basicbitch

shinra merch buyer
AKA
koda
By saying that players "know" Yoshi-P brings results and is charismatic, you are implying that his cult is "earned" or "justified" in some way.

I don't think you should form cults around these business figures who you don't know, period, whether it's Yoshi-P or Takashi Kiryu.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Also reminder that Yoshi-P is a vice-president at Square Enix, so don't let your guard down just because he made a game you liked.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
By saying that players "know" Yoshi-P brings results and is charismatic, you are implying that his cult is "earned" or "justified" in some way.

I don't think you should form cults around these business figures who you don't know, period, whether it's Yoshi-P or Takashi Kiryu.

if by cult you mean a group of enthusiastic players constantly praising his work, yes, its more than justified, since he has been delivering quality work for the past 10 years. Now there will be always someone that cant say anything negative about a certain thing or person, but at what point can we say a cult was formed based on that?

ph14basicbitch

shinra merch buyer
AKA
koda
No, I do not mean "a group of enthusiastic players constantly praising his work".

Like, cult is the word choice used by the person who Lulcielid linked, but eh sure let's roll with it. When I hear "...cult formed around Yoshi-P...", I think of the people who got really attached to Yoshi-P (and Soken and KojiFox and Ishikawa and Foxclon) due to FF14. I was very active in FF14 Twitter/Discords/forums/etc from Heavensward until mid Endwalker, and, maaaaaaaaaaan. I'm sure that person on Twitter has encountered these people as well.

If you read this and think to yourself something like, "Well I play FF14 and I'm not like that" or "Well I play FF14 and I've never encountered those people before", then that's great and I think you should keep it that way. To be honest, I'm not even sure how you intentionally run into these people, as my run-ins have been me minding my own business and they approach me over something I said/did either in-game or on a Discord.

...maybe it actually IS a cult and they were trying to recruit me? :monster:

Last edited:

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
No, I do not mean "a group of enthusiastic players constantly praising his work".

Like, cult is the word choice used by the person who Lulcielid linked, but eh sure let's roll with it. When I hear "...cult formed around Yoshi-P...", I think of the people who got really attached to Yoshi-P (and Soken and KojiFox and Ishikawa and Foxclon) due to FF14. I was very active in FF14 Twitter/Discords/forums/etc from Heavensward until mid Endwalker, and, maaaaaaaaaaan. I'm sure that person on Twitter has encountered these people as well.

If you read this and think to yourself something like, "Well I play FF14 and I'm not like that" or "Well I play FF14 and I've never encountered those people before", then that's great and I think you should keep it that way. To be honest, I'm not even sure how you intentionally run into these people, as my run-ins have been me minding my own business and they approach me over something I said/did either in-game or on a Discord.

...maybe it actually IS a cult and they were trying to recruit me? :monster:
That sounds like fans who do apologetics mixed with preaching lmao so yeah in that sense it might feel like a cult.

ph14basicbitch

shinra merch buyer
AKA
koda
I think a lot of people got deeeeeeeeeep into FF14 during the pandemic due to the trial / the buzz / the general widespread acclaim the game had due to the ShB base game / whatever the hell was going on in WoW at the time / etc. People like Yoshi-P, Soken, etc are the public "face" of the game at the Live Letters and online Fanfest, they got attached to them because they liked the game as well.

But getting told that I should be going to 2023 fanfest on behalf of the FF14 fans who want to go and support the team but are unable to go because I am one of the privileged few who didn't lose my job during the pandemic was absolutely fucking insane. I'm sure Yoshi-P will be able to keep the lights on whether he gets my money or not...

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i can kind of understand it for people who actually work on things, in the same way film directors or musicians have zealous fans. i don't necessarily think it's a good thing when it veers into 'stan' territory, cool it down buddy, but i can get feeling attachment if they worked on things that connect with you in some way.

i don't get it for a ceo, though. like what do you even do. the closest parallel i can think of would be maybe that reggie guy who used to work at nintendo? admittedly i never watched the nintendo live things or expos where i guess he appeared, i only know him from seeing memes and 'here's a tv that looks like an apple' (was that him?). idk do you like him like you might a tv presenter?

or thinking about it, gabe newall(?) the valve guy. i don't know what his job was or if he actually worked on games, i just remember occasionally seeing weird posts about him because of half life.

but what has square's new ceo got except pushing crypto stuff. thanks, i love that i can buy a ffvii figure and for like $30 more get access to a 3d model i can look at on my phone and maybe sell on a speculative market. that's just what gaming needed, more overly inflated prices for collectors items but this time it's not even an actual item.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I'm thinking the PS5 didn't do as well as expected. Exclusivity might be biting them in the ass.

Also their mid budget games have been kind of embarrassing. This isn't super surprising.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Nah, for a few years now (?) and at least one online stream, it felt like Square was developing and publishing a slew of games (mobile and console) that felt like they were throwing shit against a wall to see what stuck, including games like First Soldier, Chocobo GP, Stranger of Paradise, Foamstars, Harvestella and Babylon's Fall - all games in genres that Square isn't exactly known for unless I'm mistaken. The live services / microtransaction ones of these never took off and were either discounted, discontinued, pulled off the stores or had their purchases made available for free.

On the one side I want to say it was bold that they were willing to invest that much into new franchises and trying new things, on the other it all felt derivative and cynical. Personally I've felt zero inclination to play any of this slew of games... except SoP because of the memes and I got it for cheap :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
They released a lot of off-the-wall gems in the late 90s, it's a shame they couldn't replicate the quality of those, though I don't know how they sold back then either.

Chocobo GP would have been great if they hadn't fucked it with live service bullshit.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
Sensible decision considering SQ's current state.

no point wasting time on less important titles when the most important ones aren't selling super well. Not the time for risks either. Their output needs to be excellent right now (consistently) and they need to release on more platforms.

once they get on more stable waters, they can always return on giving attention to mid-titles.

Top Bottom