SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
I had a whole conversation with Clicky just the other day about getting old and how it relates to our view of various characters. At this age I look at Cloud and see a poor, shy, inferiority complex riddled kid.. It took me by surprise when I realized I'd added that last word at some point, and upon inspection found it fir a ton of characters. I imagine it's normal... also I don't care if it's normal so there's that :awesomonster:

This is much nicer than me calling poor Cloud a traumatized dork. A noble dork nonetheless.

We love Cloud don’t we folks. Bless his heart.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
Well, he is a dork and he is traumatized :monster: Its why i love the poor sap, he takes enough shit to his fan to kill most people three times over and comes out the other side a strong, effective dork. And on topic, how did he manage that again? He did it for Tifa.

I can’t wait to see in the next game. I feel like it’s going to be heavy, and here’s to hoping nothing is left to imaginination between Tifa and Cloud!

Ginkgo

Lv. 1 Adventurer
@insanehobbit I feel like I pretty much agree with everything I've read from you regarding the developers' intentions behind certain decisions. Not to harp on the "nakama" line, but I'm curious to know what you think is the purpose of having that dialogue change depending on whether you got Aerith's GS date. Both are a single line from Cloud, neither confirming he has romantic feelings for Aerith, but at the very least he enjoys spending time with her. Nothing bold or groundbreaking, but pretty milquetoast. I'm at a loss as to why they even included this to begin with. Especially during our last moments with Aerith. I don't think "replayablilty" is a factor here because it is such an insignificant line of dialogue, you'd think they'd add more to it if that were the case. And when I say "insignificant", I mean in the context of the scene. Not the LTD discourse. I guess this is open to anyone reading this, I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
Hmm as an Aerith fan I feel the need to point out something often not understood or overlooked by the fandom. Aerith grew up in a LAB then a bigger cage basically. Her life in Sector 5 was extremely controlled she couldn't go far because she was under surveillance. She didn't have true friends as a kid, she was an outcast. And until she met Zack and maybe Tseng no one to call confidant or friend. This greatly affects how she interacts with people and even the language she uses.

Aerith sees ANY time with someone special as a date because all she wants is to spend more time with precious people. So such little things as taking a walk together are incredibly precious to her. Because as a person in captivity (which was exactly what she is) without friends that's something huge for her.

She is not seeing it from the perspective of someone less sheltered would see it which is why she uses it so casually.

Also if you pay attention in Costa Del Sol : In Japanese Cloud doesn't say "I wish you wouldn't". He says he's bad at dates and she basically says she knows he doesn't need to tell her twice. She is not seeing it as this ulta special romantic outing she sees it as an opportunity to just spend time together in any form. She even is surprised he took the mission in the first place because she wasn't expecting anything. And to her the walk is enough but Cloud accepting this and the comments from the designers made her start questioning her feelings and that's what happened throughout that sidequest. She started wondering if there was more to it and the complexity of her feelings as well as trying to figure out Cloud. And he is of course oblivious, not even realizing the implications of the mission. But eventually she settled on she was just happy to be there with him it doesn't have to be ultra special. He doesn't have to be the ideal date or anything. She is happy just spending that time no matter the context.

Which summarizes Aerith's world view. She cherishes even the littlelest moments without expectations she just wants to spend that time together. In any form. Those are the "dates". And this is why she speaks of them so casually. She speaks of life like a series of adventures and little dates. Trying to cherish each moment.

It's kinda interesting how it's kinda easy to forget how lonely and chained she was and the results of that probably because of her personality. Even OG I don't think ever really touched on it except a few short scenes.

Last edited:

cgnVirtue

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Virtue
This is much nicer than me calling poor Cloud a traumatized dork. A noble dork nonetheless.

We love Cloud don’t we folks. Bless his heart.
I love Cloud a lot, actually. It’s so refreshing to see a protagonist like him, especially in the gaming landscape we have now. Perhaps even in media right now. The whole cast is really grounded and human, but Cloud specifically has so many layers going on with him and it makes him so interesting.

A lot of people probably feel the same way, but I relate a lot to Cloud. For better or worse lol. I think that’s part of the reason why I want to see him triumph so badly, and why I like him and Tifa as a pairing. Not to get too personal, but as someone who has similar issues as Cloud, seeing Tifa care about him and support him so unconditionally warms my heart. I guess I’m a bit biased though, because Tifa reminds me of my wife lmao.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
In short, his character has become, more than central, a narrative device and nothing else.
Thing is... she always has been.

I'm sorry but if you just try to forget the nostalgia, Aerith in OG IS a narrative device and nothing else.

Game opens with her. It's the first female party member you see and talk to. She's the princess in danger you have to liberate from Shinra. She's more gamedesign than story in the end. She's our introduction to the fantasy elements of this world (Cetra,Lifestream etc etc) and basically the perfect girlfriend you can have just for the game to kill her. And that's it. She's gone. Nothing you can do about it. But what did her death leads to ?

The party resolution to keep going, to make her sacrifice not be in vain. It leads to Tifa understanding a life lesson; tell the blonde guy how you really feel because death can be around the corner anytime etc etc.

Aerith is a narrative device to all the FF7 story.

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
Next Cycle, Warrior of Light Cloud is adrift, knowing he has something to fight for, but unable to remember what it is, knowing it was here and now it's gone.

Dissidia (13th cycle ) is released before Duodecim ( 12th cycle ) and C/A all rant before that it was Aerith he lost that's why he's adamant to fight until the prequel of the game is release ~ HAHA CT just have to laugh it hard :excited: :excited: this is what you get for not understanding the game HAHAHAHA

I'm telling you right know. We're gonna see Aerith and we're gonna cry. Because we thought we could save her this time, but no, they will take her from us again. And it's this hope we had during 2 games that will create this feeling of loss and sadness. Same feelings as we had in 1997, but not with the same execution.

- EXACTLY - I never thought of it until MAX anaylze things ( I'm not confiming 100% since we still have the 3rd game ) but most likely yeah back in 97' the highlighted C/A even made a prediction on Cait sith to assure players of 'future' only devs to take it away - so her death will hurt

-
In 2024 there's no need to higlight that anymore, people already know the story and how it goes we're just waiting for execution. Instead of highlighting her death they put the hope' on she can be saved..

ahh we can save her..
In process of doing this they also returned Zack and provide a world were he is saved' Again just like in OG only for devs to take it away~ you were provided all that expectations since Remake and Rebirth and 3rd installment and again a devastation hope all gone ~ same feeling same story

I have to say even for a CT like me i never believe even once she will be saved but Zack returning make me waiver i have to admit.. i mean.. he's there right??? sooo its possible?? - some 'fair made me weak :D:D

I don't really agree. For me atleast, I was still heartbroken and felt like tearing up playing that Jenova fight, atleast while her theme was playing, even though I had already seen it happen in the original 3 times.

- no worry that's normal you like Aerith you're expecting it to happened and yet seeing it executions still hurts

I could accept the changes made to it before Aerith showed up to fight Sephiroth with Cloud........ That's when I went "WTF?! she just died! why would they reduce the emotional impact like that!?"

I somehow agree though.. It part of the weirdness since that smile ( i'm not sure if you agree on this one) I would have prefer the at least the emotional impact retained.

As to why Aerith would call it a "date" in front of Tifa...I'm kind of at a loss.

Which leads me to think that this moment is actually meant to service the third dynamic.

- I never understood that either is it just Aerith teasing Cloud and Tifa? Being playful? But maybe you're right its to show Cloud's reaction instead of Tifa being jealous. Added the Gongaga part and the GS kiss.. to establish that Tifa and Cloud's relationship are on a different level.

cgnVirtue

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Virtue
Thing is... she always has been.

I'm sorry but if you just try to forget the nostalgia, Aerith in OG IS a narrative device and nothing else.

Game opens with her. It's the first female party member you see and talk to. She's the princess in danger you have to liberate from Shinra. She's more gamedesign than story in the end. She's our introduction to the fantasy elements of this world (Cetra,Lifestream etc etc) and basically the perfect girlfriend you can have just for the game to kill her. And that's it. She's gone. Nothing you can do about it. But what did her death leads to ?

The party resolution to keep going, to make her sacrifice not be in vain. It leads to Tifa understanding a life lesson; tell the blonde guy how you really feel because death can be around the corner anytime etc etc.

Aerith is a narrative device to all the FF7 story.
I got this feeling from Rebirth. Outside of some admittedly really sweet and cute moments, she doesn’t really serve much of a purpose but to continue being Tifa’s friend (which as mentioned by someone else earlier, their friendship is more hollow than in Remake) until like Chapter 13 where she has some room to truly shine. It was kind of disappointing to me because I really liked Aerith in Remake. I still teared up a little when she died, but then the boss gauntlet hit me and I died so many times that the impact of her death couldn’t actually hit me. I really wanted more for Aerith because her death is supposed to be one of the most iconic moments in video game history.
Like, if someone’s a CA, someone’s a CA. But I wish more of the radical CAs were vocal about how they treated Aerith in the narrative instead of whether or not handholding is more romantic than kissing.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
I really wanted more for Aerith because her death is supposed to be one of the most iconic moments in video game history.
Like, if someone’s a CA, someone’s a CA. But I wish more of the radical CAs were vocal about how they treated Aerith in the narrative instead of whether or not handholding is more romantic than kissing.

Like I already said, the game is crafted meticulously to make you relive feelings you had in OG. You can't really feel the same things if they keep the things as they were. Not saying it's facts. Just saying that's their point of view. They don't want to emulate the same feelings, they want you to FEEL it directly.

That's why the Avalanche crew is depicted differently, that's why they're bringing Tifa & Cloud relationship so soon, and that's why they robbed you of Aerith death for now.

Again, you have all the right to be upset, just saying it's unfair to judge the book by his cover when you've only read 1/3 of it. Because I know it may sound crazy (and I'm personnaly afraid of it to be honest) but we haven't started FF7 story yet. ALL the stuff is happening when Part 3 starts. CD1 of OG is only the introduction.

Last edited:

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
What the hell? 😭 most of the members are adult with families or gf/bf, it feels like i am surrounded by uncles and aunties. Mind you i just reach 19 years in march and became a fan of ff7 in 2016 after watching the film AC( even without understanding anything). I recently join this forum and it already feels like a family so thank you all.

I'll be 22 yo in 2027 just like aerith haha ( i hope i don't die 😃)

You're on a forum, discussing a 27-year-old game... What did you expect? 😂😂😂

You made me realize something amazing: a lot of young people will be joining the fandom due to Retrylogy, and it makes me sooo happy! I hope people are still talking about FFVII 27 years from now (hope I'm still around too :sweatsmile:).

btw, welcome!!!

Eerie

Fire and Blood
You're on a forum, discussing a 27-year-old game... What did you expect? 😂😂😂

You made me realize something amazing: a lot of young people will be joining the fandom due to Retrylogy, and it makes me sooo happy! I hope people are still talking about FFVII 27 years from now (hope I'm still around too :sweatsmile:).

btw, welcome!!!
As far as I'm concerned, you're all kids lmao :flipmonster:

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I first played the OG in 2010 when I was around fourteen or fifteen,

So that’s kinda around the time I got into Final Fantasy in general.

I was only like two or three when it first came out.

Last edited:

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
I just started to play OG yesterday. I watched chunks of it on YouTube but I got the itch to just jump in and play it myself.

I wanted to see how I’d feel with the love triangle based on the original. I see I can be really mean to Aerith if I wanted to lmao.

Dr Frasier Crane

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I love this but also cmon they are both beautiful bunches of pixels. They deserve each other. PLEASE SE SEAL THE DEAL.
The beautiful thing is: we now live in a world where people can glibly meme about the reality that Cloud has kissed Tifa, and no one can contradict the premise of the meme.

It’s clear where this is going, let’s just be patient and hope Rebirth is selling well enough that SE can do part 3 the justice it deserves.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
He did it for Tifa.
Final Fantasy 7.txt

Dissidia (13th cycle ) is released before Duodecim ( 12th cycle ) and C/A all rant before that it was Aerith he lost that's why he's adamant to fight until the prequel of the game is release ~ HAHA CT just have to laugh it hard :excited: :excited: this is what you get for not understanding the game HAHAHAHA
The arguments around original Dissidia and Duodecim were quite ludicrous way back when, and it's actually kind of notable how hard those arguments got dropped when even KH still gets trotted out as "C/A evidence" from time to time. But yeah, there were plenty back then. That the 7 crystal was the actual white Materia and thus meant his reason for fighting was Aerith (Not so, and made explicitly not so in Duodecim), that the flowers in the ending only appear when Cloud is on screen (they don't) to the idea that everyone's endings reflect their romantic interest (Fuck you they DEFINITELY don't because the only fucking married man in the cast has an ending that references his brother not his wife) and so many insistences that Aerith would definitely be playable in the sequel. That she was a totally story irrelevant assist attack must have extra stung because Maaya Sakamoto (Who at this point was dating if not already married to Zack's VO, just for the record) was in the game as Lightning, so they absolutely had her on hand if they wanted to do shit with her as Aerith and Nada. No Aerith. Only Tifa.

Last edited:

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
I wonder if, as Clerith becomes more and more unsustainable, we'll see them go more and more insane in their death throes?
I was just in the cesspool formerly known as Twitter and I actually saw a Clerith post a picture of Aerith and Cloud sitting on the water tower, and quoting Cloud talking about how "sitting there hoping Tifa would wave at him" sounds like something he'd do.....and actually go heart eyes #Clerith..... these people are insane, they literally want Aerith to be Tifa.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I wonder if, as Clerith becomes more and more unsustainable, we'll see them go more and more insane in their death throes?
I was just in the cesspool formerly known as Twitter and I actually saw a Clerith post a picture of Aerith and Cloud sitting on the water tower, and quoting Cloud talking about how "sitting there hoping Tifa would wave at him" sounds like something he'd do.....and actually go heart eyes #Clerith..... these people are insane, they literally want Aerith to be Tifa.
Possibly.

I definitely think the cope still has yet to peak.

Top Bottom