SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
Something else about the dream date is that when Aerith says "a place of memories," it immediatly cuts to Zack sitting a the church

I asked a Japanese person about it and they had this to say:
View attachment 16120

Sorry for not doing the thing you guys are doing with twitter posts, I don't really know how to do it.
Imagine thinking that everytime i thank someone, i'm proclaiming my romantic love to them :desu: . Context is everything guys.

Wait i just realized that Tifa also says "thank you" to Cloud in Remakes Chapter 14 resolution, so basically Tifa proclaiming romantic feelings confirmed :mon:/s.

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
Look I will be the first to admit it. And I don't care if they come for me. If Cloud and Aerith had an optional kiss scene in Rebirth you would never hear the end of it.
Heck, I too would be bringing it up at any moment I could.
And I know many agree with me and they don't like how much copium there is over that kiss.

I will not deny that the devs made a choice there and it was to give CT a kiss. No amount of it's optional changes that. And to me it's just disingenuous because by this logic the red dress scene in Wallmarket is just optional "fan service" too and I would rather not let go of that scene thank you.

So fair is fair.

And in any argument we have the responsibility to be fair.

Last edited:

Rin

Pro Adventurer
I don't know if it's just me but I treat everything as equally likely and I don't treat any option as optional. In anything. Ever.

Basically I don't dismiss anything. If it made into the made into the game it can't be for nothing. Someone made the choice to include it.

I try to look at it through the lens of intent why did the creator include this option surely it must be for some reason. Why did the creator give me the option of seeing this scene? Why was it included? Surely it must mean something.

Because creators can just throw stuff in for fun or Easter eggs sure but that doesn't mean options and alternative scenes etc are completely divorced from the original work or that they don't serve a purpose. They still give some information, they still tell us something.
I'm the exact same way. I go back and replay everything to get every single scene and complete the entire playlog--even if it takes me a long time to do it because I want to see the entire story in full.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
Look I will be the first to admit it. And I don't care if they come for me. If Cloud and Aerith had an optional kiss scene in Rebirth you would never hear the end of it.
Heck, I too would be bringing it up at any moment I could.
And I know many agree with me and they don't like how much copium there is over that kiss.

I will not deny that the devs made a choice there and it was to give CT a kiss. No amount of it's optional changes that. And to me it's just disingenuous because by this logic the red dress scene in Wallmarket is just optional "fan service" too and I would rather not let go of that scene thank you.

So fair is fair.
Sorry for double post but YES. This is exactly why the argument doesn't make sense to me. The red and high-low pink dress respectively are two cute & adorable Clerith moments locked behind "optional" gameplay. Why would I ever say it's not canon? Lmao sure I can choose to do no quests and get Aerith's worst dress where Cloud basically is like "wtf" and say the other two scenes don't exist/aren't canon but that's disingenuous as hell.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
New claim: Tifa wasn't as into Cloud in Rebirth as she was in OG.........
Lemme guess. Yuffies saying Tifa had a big crush on Cloud when they were kids, while she got too busy in Midgar and forgot about him after? Understandably she didn't have time to think about him with how busy she got there, but let's be real here, Cloud appearing again essentially brought those feelings back up to the surface.

Suffi

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
suffibi
There has been times were non clerith fans have made claims that are based on their opinions or interpretations and not get as much flak. As someone who stubbles in here once and awhile while searching for someone on Google, you guys really don’t make an effort to make it inclusive to other interpretations of the very ambiguous narrative.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
There is no point. They don't even like Aerith. They just like the idea they've built up in their heads.

They have to portray Cloud so much as the ultimate asshole on earth to make their ship work and make sense with the official material that's it's impossible to look me in the eye and assure me that there's no problem with this kind of guy being the right man for their favorite FF girl.

Someone who uses his childhood friend sentimental distress to steal a kiss because he wants to get back at Aerith for still having feelings for Zack, or who decides to ghost a woman for 1 year after forcing a dependent child on her, is supposed to be Prince Charming for your princess? Don't make me laugh.

They don't care about FF7. They don't care about the characters. They just want their stupid ship.
Begs to question why would they even care about the ship to begin with? If they just want to self insert as Aerith then why would anyone want to be in a ship with Cloud to begin with?

I never quite understand why people want to be so passionate about this ship to go as far as make the characters just the absolute worst as a side effect.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
There has been times were non clerith fans have made claims that are based on their opinions or interpretations and not get as much flak. As someone who stubbles in here once and awhile while searching for someone on Google, you guys really don’t make an effort to make it inclusive to other interpretations of the very ambiguous narrative.
Yet again, the LTD isn't ambiguous, you just have to work for the answer. The devs have always been like that.

If Cloud living happily ever while raising a child with Tifa isn't "proof" then I don't know what is.

and again, I also think Clotis can make wild, unreasonable claims. I'm a fan of Cloti but I'm also a fan of the truth.

Suffi

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
suffibi
I don’t like these shipper labels to begin with. They’re like political parties. None of us should have to answer for the fringe just because we agree on a single topic.
This is how I feel. Instead being like ‘oh clerith this or oh clotis that.’ It should be just ‘this extremist shipper believes this thing.’ Healthy debates and discussing differencing opinions should be encouraged.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Respectfully, the narrative is not ambiguous. The man has been harboring feelings for one woman his entire life, admits those feelings, confirms those feelings with that woman the night before the possible end of the world, begins his new life with her the morning after averting the end of the world, moves in with her, adopts a child with her, is happy with her, so happy he feels guilty about it (Because why did his friends have to die for him to have his happiness), and then yes, he becomes consumed with depression and guilt when he contracts a fatal wasting disease and removes himself from her, but as a form of penance, and even then he's still looking for a cure for his new son and himself. And the moment that he's cured, he moves back in with the woman, and when another crisis happens a year later he proactively takes steps to protect his family from it and then rides into battle with that woman to protect and reclaim their new home.

Is the ambiguity that he might have caught feelings for a woman he knew two weeks?

Because even if he did, it's clear where his heart has always lay and where he decides to go.

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
There has been times were non clerith fans have made claims that are based on their opinions or interpretations and not get as much flak. As someone who stubbles in here once and awhile while searching for someone on Google, you guys really don’t make an effort to make it inclusive to other interpretations of the very ambiguous narrative
Of course they have. And I have in the past ripped those arguments to shreds as well. Just not here.

Because no one here really insists they are the arbiters of the narrative and are the only ones that know everything. At least as far as I've seen.

But as you see my posts I have given my view and interpretation several times and not everyone has agreed with everything I have said nor have I with them but they didn't just shut me down either.

But a debate is about evidence first and foremost and proving a claim with evidence and reasoning not really interpretation.

It's not interpretation that is being argued against here.

You can have your interpretation and discuss your thoughts.
But if you want to make a claim there needs to be some evidence and you need to be fair about that evidence.

And that actually has nothing to do with interpretation because the evidence we find can go against our original interpretation.

The problem is people not wanting to admit that.

Edit: Even as a CA just to be clear I'm not interested in sides as much as I am in fairness. If an argument is unfair or evidence is erroneous I'm going to point it out. Regardless. And I think this is only fair.

Last edited:

Suffi

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
suffibi
Respectfully, the narrative is not ambiguous. The man has been harboring feelings for one woman his entire life, admits those feelings, confirms those feelings with that woman the night before the possible end of the world, begins his new life with her the morning after averting the end of the world, moves in with her, adopts a child with her, is happy with her, so happy he feels guilty about it (Because why did his friends have to die for him to have his happiness), and then yes, he becomes consumed with depression and guilt when he contracts a fatal wasting disease and removes himself from her, but as a form of penance, and even then he's still looking for a cure for his new son and himself. And the moment that he's cured, he moves back in with the woman, and when another crisis happens a year later he proactively takes steps to protect his family from it and then rides into battle with that woman to protect and reclaim their new home.

Is the ambiguity that he might have caught feelings for a woman he knew two weeks?

Because even if he did, it's clear where his heart has always lay and where he decides to go.
Here a problem … you are assuming by me saying it’s ambiguous narrative that I’m talking about Advent Children and the novels. Kind of seems you are thinking I’m a Clerith shipper who doesn’t view that Tifa and Cloud are living under on house together in separate rooms. Which I wasn’t. I more thinking about Rebirth and Cloud’s and Aerith’s interactions. That whole ‘like-like’ speech I have read shippers dissecting that scene to no end. Also the ‘dream date’ being hotly debated as a Zack dream date when we know that Nojima loves to reference previous written scenes, like a lot and there really isn’t any hidden meaning to it. I hope we can all agree that the dream date was mostly a set up to display how choices don’t matter against fate.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
Cloud, the main character, can only have his story work if Cloti exists, so no, this isn't a case of "ff7 isn't about romance."

The sub-plot of this game is Cloud's identity issues, which is a plotline that can only exist if Cloti does.
This right here. The game isn't necessarily a romance game persay, but the romantic sub-plot exists and is a key element to Clouds character and it's specifically there with Tifas character.

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
Here a problem … you are assuming by me saying it’s ambiguous narrative that I’m talking about Advent Children and the novels. Kind of seems you are thinking I’m a Clerith shipper who doesn’t view that Tifa and Cloud are living under on house together in separate rooms. Which I wasn’t. I more thinking about Rebirth and Cloud’s and Aerith’s interactions. That whole ‘like-like’ speech I have read shippers dissecting that scene to no end. Also the ‘dream date’ being hotly debated as a Zack dream date when we know that Nojima loves to reference previous written scenes, like a lot and there really isn’t any hidden meaning to it. I hope we can all agree that the dream date was mostly a set up to display how choices don’t matter against fate.
Before you say this.
Please go back a few pages and you'll see so many people here have different reads of the date. Nowhere did everyone unanimously agree it was Aerith forcing Cloud into Zack's role or even recreation of the CC date. Some think so, some don't. And yes there was a whole conversation about the choices and fate and what it could mean. There was a variety of topics and opinions discussed. And literally no one was shut down for it. We all made claims and discussed our evidence. We either agreed or disagreed.

This place isn't the hive mind you may think.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
Most people here don't hate Clerith fans at all but not many Clerith fans want to engage in a healthy, respectful "debate" that actually takes the entire game narrative into account. A lot of the time their evidence is just cherry-picked quotes, taking scenarios out of context, or providing bad faith arguments.

You can't really have a conversation with people like that cause they're basically plugging their ears and screaming over you.

There are two Clerith fans in here that are well respected amongst us, so I think it's pretty unfair to say this place only targets Clerith interpretations. Also, "neutral" opinions do come up here a lot as well, it's just that "neutral" opinions happen to be wholly aligned with bad faith Clerith talking points.

Also the ‘dream date’ being hotly debated as a Zack dream date when we know that Nojima loves to reference previous written scenes, like a lot and there really isn’t any hidden meaning to it. I hope we can all agree that the dream date was mostly a set up to display how choices don’t matter against fate.
This, I find a little disingenuous. The dream date is considered a "Zack date" because at every stall you go to there's Zack AND Cloud coded merchandise. If you choose any of the Cloud coded stuff, Aerith will immediately choose the Zack coded stuff. But a lot of people here don't think it's a 1:1 recreation of Aeriths date with Zack while others do.

The dream date is also running in parallel with Zack scenes; when Aerith talks about her favourite place/a place of memories, we immediately cut to Zack sitting on the church steps. This is not ambiguous. This is literally how cinematic storytelling works.

Yes, the dream date is there to tell us that "no matter what you choose, you can't fight fate/destiny" but that message is tightly tied to Zack's storyline of fighting against fate and taking control of his own narrative. Divorcing the two from each other and claiming "ambiguity" is a major disservice to the story at large, imo.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
I’m sorry I’m not understanding.

Are you saying you are only currently discussing Rebirth and setting aside the fact that we are shown where Cloud and Tifa end up?

I see you have an interpretation of these specific Aerith scenes, and I won’t say I disagree with them, it’s just that I viewed them differently. I also see them as isolated moments in a much bigger picture.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
The dream date being laced with references to Zack isn't pointless, this is an important moment, not some random sidequest. Any writer worth their salt doesn't just put things in a story "just because," especially when it's in a scene this important.

I don't think it's Aerith being delusional or anything, but it certainly isn't a coincidence that there are so many similarities between the dream date and her date with Zack in Crisis Core.

This right here. The game isn't necessarily a romance game persay, but the romantic sub-plot exists and is a key element to Clouds character and it's specifically there with Tifas character.
See here's the thing though, it actually kinda is.

Take Tifa out of Final Fantasy 7 and literally everything changes. First off the story changes completely but most importantly, take Tifa away from the story and everything interesting about our main character effectively vanishes.

And like I've said before, if your main character is uninteresting, you might as well give up writing the story before you even start.

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
Yep. And I’m done. Goodnight folks. Thanks for explaining to me how storytelling works.
Why are you responding as if that this is somehow an offense when it isn't? Yes the cut away to Zack in the church does mean something. There are also Stamp dogs around the area which are there for a reason.
Nothing in a game is ever done "coincidentally".

This doesn't 100% mean no that they were saying oh Aerith is just forcing Cloud into Zack's role or anything.

But it's still there for some reason and we can discuss why.

Top Bottom