A Pokemon X FF fusion game

koopa990

Lv. 1 Adventurer
I have an ambitious idea about fusing FInal Fantasy XIII and Pokemon together. I am a huge fan of these specific FF games. Basically, the combat system will be inspired from FF XIII -- where it is half turn and real time. The highlight features:
  • Each pokemon can learn certain Paradigm Roles, depending on their learn sets (Paradigm roles)
    • E.g. Wobbuffet can only be SENTINEL -- its job is to protect themselves and allies, as they draw attention of enemies from its teammates.
  • Your Pokemon in double or triple battle are AI controlled. They can be optionally customized to tailor your battle style and various scenarios.
  • The development system may be different
    • A pokemon with an assigned role will have its own unique level system.
These are just the surface ideas. I am open to hear your feedbacks and thoughts!

koopa990

Lv. 1 Adventurer

Ghost X

Those image links aren't loading for me, but I figure these are the links to the respective images you're trying to show in case you wish to edit your posts.

I haven't played FFXIII, but I would say a Pokemon game that explores different battle systems is an interesting concept. I imagine making a pokemon game balanced in tune with a new battle system would be tricky, but I'm not experienced in battle mechanics and game design, so what would I know :P.

koopa990

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Those image links aren't loading for me, but I figure these are the links to the respective images you're trying to show in case you wish to edit your posts.

I haven't played FFXIII, but I would say a Pokemon game that explores different battle systems is an interesting concept. I imagine making a pokemon game balanced in tune with a new battle system would be tricky, but I'm not experienced in battle mechanics and game design, so what would I know :P.
I have a rough concept for the fusion of the battle system!

Thank you for the fetched links.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
I'm always happy to talk shop concerning Pokemon :trainermon: It does sound like a game such as you describe would have difficulty balancing with all 18 elemental types, a good representation of abilities, etc. To me that says limited roster of available Pokemon... so the mons that make the cut better be good picks. Without enormous bias to Gen 1 for preference.

koopa990

Lv. 1 Adventurer
I'm always happy to talk shop concerning Pokemon :trainermon: It does sound like a game such as you describe would have difficulty balancing with all 18 elemental types, a good representation of abilities, etc. To me that says limited roster of available Pokemon... so the mons that make the cut better be good picks. Without enormous bias to Gen 1 for preference.
what's your thought on tripling all Pokemon HP and their BSP stats? just for the balance sake of the battle being more real time, but stil has 1/4 of turn time

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Hmmm ... I could see that working up to a point. Like you're talking about changing mechanics in such a way that it's less just "Pokemon in this game have more HP" and more in a "battles are less simplified so we are decompressing a few things to show that" way.

Firstly, that leaves Shedinja right out of this game. It's gimmick of always having exactly 1 HP doesn't really work if you up HP across the board. And it'd feel wrong to include Nincada/Ninjask without it (which incidentally makes me wonder how Baton Pass would be handled in this setup).

As for other BST, I'd be concerned that just upping everything equally wouldn't actually change much. Think Blissey, if it goes from "damn that's a lot o' hit points" to "Jaysus that's too many hp!" but strong physical attackers have their Attack stat jump up by that same margin ... what did you actually change?

But on that same note, failing to up things equally could badly effect a number of Pokemons' performance. Sweepers like Weavile may suddenly fail to sweep if they can't one shot opponents they currently can, stall and wall starts could be even better or nigh useless depending on how adjustments are made and to which mons, etc.

It could work out, but it would have to be done carefully.

koopa990

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Hmmm ... I could see that working up to a point. Like you're talking about changing mechanics in such a way that it's less just "Pokemon in this game have more HP" and more in a "battles are less simplified so we are decompressing a few things to show that" way.

Firstly, that leaves Shedinja right out of this game. It's gimmick of always having exactly 1 HP doesn't really work if you up HP across the board. And it'd feel wrong to include Nincada/Ninjask without it (which incidentally makes me wonder how Baton Pass would be handled in this setup).

As for other BST, I'd be concerned that just upping everything equally wouldn't actually change much. Think Blissey, if it goes from "damn that's a lot o' hit points" to "Jaysus that's too many hp!" but strong physical attackers have their Attack stat jump up by that same margin ... what did you actually change?

But on that same note, failing to up things equally could badly effect a number of Pokemons' performance. Sweepers like Weavile may suddenly fail to sweep if they can't one shot opponents they currently can, stall and wall starts could be even better or nigh useless depending on how adjustments are made and to which mons, etc.

It could work out, but it would have to be done carefully.
I was thinking for Shedinja, he can get a little boost in HP. BUT, this time, he will resist to all elements (he will take 1 point damage).

Blissey being one of the many Pokemon to have abnormal HP. To counter her, you gotta have Pokemon with the Saboteur / Jammer Role. Dwindle them down until they are weak, then go for the kill.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
At the risk of stating the obvious, XIII-2 kinda already did this, no? Or at least started it :lol: sans actual pokeemanz, obviously

Last edited:

koopa990

Lv. 1 Adventurer
At the risk of stating the obviously, XIII-2 kinda already did this, no? Or at least started it :lol: sans actual pokeemanz, obviously
ehhh everyone said that. But I want something MORE. Like combine LR 4 face buttons with half of the aspects from 13-2, and combine them with Pokemon quirks

Top Bottom