Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Series (Mobile/Steam)

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
starlord-finally.gif

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
Interestingly:

September 11, 2017:

The Future Of Final Fantasy Is All About Player Feedback

With that notion of user feedback in mind, I brought up the iOS and Steam versions of Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI, which are, to put it delicately, not pretty. Although Japanese players seem fine with the games’ new art, North American fans have complained that there is no feasible way to play the better SNES or GBA versions of FFV and FFVI on today’s consoles. I asked if Kitase would consider putting the original versions of both games on modern platforms, and he appeared surprised at the request. “I am actually curious to know — I believe the port version, the one you can get right now, does use the more brushed up artwork that’s a little bit more refined,” Kitase said. “Do fans want to see the older version that’s not as refined? Is that the sentiment?” “Yes,” I said, explaining that North American gamers have not reacted positively to the iOS and Steam versions of Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI. “Understood,” Kitase said. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

On June 13th, 2021, these 6 pixel remasters were announced, shortly after Kitase became the head of FF Brand Management.

If someone says "Nobody at SE listens to what fans want," point them to this thread post.

Kitase listened.

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
Seemingly, adding back in the bonus content to these 6 games that were in the previous remakes of them is a hot topic, yes.

I find it unlikely that this will be done, but just for the sake of polemic and wildly speculative argument, the question is, which bonus contents?

FF4 Advance, FF4 3D Remake and FF4 Complete Collection version all have different bonus contents. So, how do you decide which ones get cut, and which ones go in FF4 PR?

I think the idea was that the first 6 games in the series be presented as a unified project that shares most assets and design philosophies, all together as one. So picking this bonus content from that version of this game, and leaving out this bonus content from this other version of this other game, becomes an exercise in madness, doesn't it? What do you guys think?

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Is there *any* bonus content from *any* of the other re-releases? And is there *any* bonus content introduced by the pixel remaster?

I honestly think the most contentious thing is not crediting the original teams, that’s obscene. Not having Sakaguchi’s name on the (arguably) definitive versions of his games is an insult of the highest order. To say nothing of the hundreds of artists and programmers whose hard work will go unsung now that their names aren’t even on the end credits. It’s fucking gross, and gauche, and as a creator it makes me so mad.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
FF4 Advance

Easy question, easy answer. :monster:

The bonus content is in question is from the Advance releases. The Final Fantasy Advanced Anniversary editions. However, for FF1 and 2, the 20th Anniversary content should also be included given the amount of content and care that went into it.

And is there *any* bonus content introduced by the pixel remaster?

Aside from soundtrack stuff, no. There is not.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Aside from soundtrack stuff, no. There is not.

Ah, well at least they are consistent. I wonder if modders will add some of that stuff in 🤔

Edit: looks like visual mods are the only things on nexus and the discord. Probably means content isn’t possible, much like FF7R.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I think the idea was that the first 6 games in the series be presented as a unified project that shares most assets and design philosophies, all together as one. So picking this bonus content from that version of this game, and leaving out this bonus content from this other version of this other game, becomes an exercise in madness, doesn't it? What do you guys think?

As IV Complete was the most, well, Complete one, I'd take that. It has all of the IV Advance stuff. The 3D one was a remake with totally different mechanics, so I wouldn't bother with those. Ditto III.

V and VI only have the Advance stuff, I'm pretty sure the mobile ports all had the same stuff.

I and II, the PSP anniversary edition stuff.

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
SO what I'm gathering is,

- Add the FF1 and FF2 PSP Anniversary Edition Bonus Contents (Elemental Ruins, Roguelike Random Generated Superdungeon, Soul of Rebirth)
- Add the FF4 Advance/FF4 Complete Collection Bonus Contents (Lunar Ruins, party switching, etc)
- Add the extra jobs/super bosses that are in FF5 Advance
- Add the extra Espers that are in FF6 Advance, Soul Shrine, Dragon's Den, et al

FF3, however, has no version that is enough like the Original to include bonus content from; I'd say that converting whatever content was added in the DS version seems like a giant pain, even with my meager knowledge of programming. ...Could this be why the decision was made to cut all bonus content not originally present in the original console releases? So that 3 wouldn't get slighted?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
That would be an absurd reason. If they were so afraid of III getting slighted, they would have ever released it some time before now.

Top Bottom