Midlife Crisis Core

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
With Part 2 being officially titled "Rebirth" and confirmation that we got ourselves a trilogy, I thought it would be fun to reflect on the Remake Project’s journey so far.

Final Fantasy VII Remake was announced on June 15th, 2015. “At last, the promise has been made” stated the reveal trailer. Later that year Square Enix shocked fans when they announced Remake would be a multipart series. That wasn't in anyone’s projections. We ended up having plenty of time to accept that news though. After three and a half years of almost no media coverage, Remake was re-revealed in May of 2019. It finally felt real. Unlike the first two trailers, this new look at Remake was composed entirely of scenes that would actually be in the game. And we didn’t have to wait much longer after that. Eleven months and one delay later, Remake released worldwide on April 10th, 2020.

Almost exactly seven years after Remake’s initial announcement, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth was unveiled on June 16th, 2022. Not much is known right now, but we do have a release window: next winter (December 2023 - February 2024).

Barring any major delays, let's assume Rebirth releases at the tail end of “next winter”. So February 2024. Let’s also assume Part 3 takes a similar amount of time to develop as Rebirth (about four years). If we do, we can project that Part 3 will be released by or around February 2028.

2028 may seem far away, but consider this: from 2015 to 2028, the Remake Project will have spanned 13 years. In 2022, with the unveiling of Rebirth, we're seven years deep. That's already more than halfway through.

It sure doesn't feel like we're halfway! Especially when only one game has been released. But the numbers don't lie, this project will likely end sooner rather than later.

As fans of an on-going series, we're largely in Square Enix's hands right now. They're telling the story. However, after 2028, the ball moves to our side of the court. We'll no longer have new announcements or releases to bring the community together. It'll be on us to fuel conversations, create "content", and hold events. It's not bad, our community lived on even after the void left by Advent Children Complete, but it will be different.

Presently, debates have gotten heated with the latest batch of interviews. And, unfortunately, I suspect the temperature will increase as we move closer to 2024. Allow me to take a moment and share a cautionary tale.

There was a time I would’ve called Metal Gear Solid my favorite series. I was in deep. From a story perspective, I knew everything from developer comments to the order of retcons as the series went on. Amidst this was the lead up to the series’ latest and final game, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. The wait was unbearable. I was unironically convinced it would be the greatest game of all time. And I got burnt. Bad.

Listen, I’m not about to get into it. I like certain aspects of the game and dislike others. But I bring it up because it taught me a valuable lesson: don’t make one thing your whole thing.

In the context of Remake this applies to theory crafting. Not gonna lie, I have a theory on the new mysteries that I’m actually really confident in. But, I also try to consider the advantages of the other theories out there. Maybe Zack is in the same spacetime as the party after Remake. The tension of knowing he could cross paths with Cloud and Aerith at any point could be interesting. And if I don’t consider that from time to time, I could be in for a world of hurt come 2024.

Secondly, and maybe more importantly as we weather the wait together, you can’t change everybody’s mind. In fact, reiterating your stance over and over might have the opposite effect of convincing people. It might annoy them. I feel like I have the potential to annoy people. There’s a reason I spend months making massive threads. They’re an outlet. An outlet for every time I read someone else’s wild interpretation of events. Not just here for the record. Twitter also has some drama to say the least. If I made a post every time I disagreed with someone on the internet, I’d lose my job.

The next time you feel burnt out on the debates, I recommend booting up Remake instead. It’s good to take a step back sometimes. Pick any chapter, they all have something to offer, and just enjoy the production value. Remake’s great! I always find something I didn’t notice before. The passion put in by the development team makes it a game that just keeps on giving.

I said this a while ago and I’ll say it again: Someday we’ll have all the answers. In fact, we’ll have them for longer than when we didn’t. Until then, don’t forget to enjoy yourself. It may never be this way again. I suspect Remake’s graphics will age a whole lot better than the original game’s. Who knows when we’ll have something like this to look forward to. Sure we're always waiting, but at least we're waiting for something real. These very well could be "the good times".

Last edited:

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
- Cold is my pick for fav poster on the forum. Mature, thoughtful, and discusses issues in an easygoing way. Also this thread is nice, you clearly are trying to save people some pain and hassle. Huzzah for Cold!

- I'm surprised you can consider stuff beyond 2028. It is so far away that I have no idea what the world will be like then. That may sound dramatic, but a lot can change in six years...heck, six years ago from today felt like quite a different world itself.

- I never actually played MGS5, and I still wonder if I should. MGS1-4 is one hell of a ride, full of intriguing and silly and dramatic stuff. I avoided 5 because I heard it was unlike the others in terms of storytelling, though. People only rave about the 'gameplay'.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
For me, the rampant speculation is all part of the fun. This is where people really come alive and their imaginations go wild. Some day there will only be how things are, but right now there's a world of possibilities, and we're all living it.

I've definitely gotten more than a bit heated, and plenty indignant, and I'm sorry for that, but it's all in good fun. It should be, anyway. We'll see when we get there, for now let's just appreciate the exciting times we're in.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Barring any major delays, let's assume Rebirth releases at the tail end of “next winter”. So February 2024. Let’s also assume Part 3 takes a similar amount of time to develop as Rebirth (about four years). If we do, we can project that Part 3 will be released by or around February 2028.

Before they announced 2020 as the release date of the first part, I had guessed it would be 2019, with the project finishing up in 2023/2024. After the 2020 release was revealed, I moved my estimate to 2025/2026 and I maintain that. They have two main teams split up and working on each, with the main production finishing out Rebirth right now. I think they'll progress to the final part in what will seem like a shockingly quick time.

I bring it up because it taught me a valuable lesson: don’t make one thing your whole thing.

Unfortunately, for me, this train has left the station. Final Fantasy VII is basically my last videogame. I will likely retire the hobby after all of this. Regardless of the possibility of being burned.

waw

Pro Adventurer
I just love this thread so much. Thanks for tossing this out there, Cold. Because of my deep appreciation of FFVII, I have a particular fondness for this community. The translators, the commentators, the folks who share an interest in reading odd bits of the Ultimania and discussing it. I do love it. It's so great to share with everyone here.

For me, the rampant speculation is all part of the fun.
The thing I love about theory crafting isn't so much trying to be "right" about what's coming, but rather, what would THIS mean if it were the path? Let's take a ridiculous notion that won't be true: Zack becoming the big bad villain in part 3. We all know that wouldn't ever happen. JenesisX had a fanfic way back after FFVII came out that this was the case. And Sephiroth became the hero, freed from Jenova's control.

What would that mean? Would the devs be able to redeem Sephiroth? Is that possible at this point? What would that mean for Cloud? What would have to be in the story to make that click? This is something that just fascinates and resonates with me. Thinking through this.

So is Zack here, or there, is he this or that? Well, that part doesn't actually interest me. Rather, what does it mean for the rest of the saga? If Zack is the "last Whisper?" If he's crossed over multiverse style, if he's time traveled? All that has a major effect on the lore and it's pushed us deeper into looking at odd bits of the Ultimanias and such to see "Seeds" of where this could all come from.

BUT, that leaves me with an odd feeling. None of us know we're right. And the heated debate the follows does baffle me a bit. It can seem so personal. It's a bit like the LTD. Folks, I've never, ever, evere understood the passionate arguments around the LTD and the investment in any ship. It doesn't make sense to me. The vitriol that follows that debate in some circles just.... completely and utterly baffles me.

Unfortunately, for me, this train has left the station. Final Fantasy VII is basically my last videogame. I will likely retire the hobby after all of this. Regardless of the possibility of being burned.

I've thought this many times. Then I play Elden Ring and I'm like, "Oh, there are a few more things for me." Most of my gaming is with my nephews. We play whatever they enjoy: minecraft, mario kart, smash bros, whatever. On my own, I tend to game with my partner. A shared campaign in Borderlands can be rewarding. But no gaming experience was remotely like FFVIIR and I can't wait for more of it.

If this is your last go at gaming, I hope you get everything you desire out of the story.

I trust we won't be burned. I think one of the ways we get burned is by really investing in a theory. If you're deadset on a theory being the best way the story should go, and that everything is pointing toward that... you get set up for disappointment.

Leafonthebreeze

Any/All
AKA
Leaf
I'm not a big theorizer, so not a lot to say on the main part of your post (except that I let my partner spend over an hour explaining the entire plot of MG1-5 to me, not particularly sequentially last night), but to those who think they're done with video games...

I would really, really reccomend finding short, weird, fascinating indie games on Steam - often for under a fiver. I hardly ever gamed anymore because my lifestyle just did not afford me the time to plug into the big AAAs. And then I discovered how many amazing games that can be played in a few hours and are cheap and fascinating and play on a shitty old laptop there are out there. I game so much more now than I did five years ago, I'm never going to play Elden Ring or The Last of Us, or whatever else, but I will lose my mind over Hypnospace Outlaw, What Remains of Edith Finch, Orwell, Hacknet and whatever else that grabs my attention on Steam. Give it a go maybe, if you think you're done with it all.

SoZettaSlow

Hackermens extraordinaire
AKA
Yoshikage Kira
I think it's easy to be burnt on hyping your own self out on expectations of the games. I feel like if you are realistic with what it will be you won't be too upset. For me I expected the Remake to be very meh with some decent nostalgia and a banger OST. I'm 100% sure Rebirth will be the same.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
but to those who think they're done with video games...
I would really, really reccomend finding short, weird, fascinating indie games on Steam - often for under a fiver.

I play a ton of games. Love little games, love big games. But I have to admit I've sort of been chasing the dragon since about 2008. Remake has kind of renewed it for me, and I am currently in the midst of 4 separate games. But I wonder what will happen in a few years, once all of the remake project has been released. But yeah, I'll try out some more games on Steam. Seems fair.

Top Bottom