Shin Megami Tensei series

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
... deserves a topic fgj :monster:

Atlus' RPG series seems to have gained a bigger fanbase in the West, at least with the new Persona games. So surely someones played them? And hopefully the others like Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocture or Digital Devil Saga. Those might be hard to find nowadays, though. Nocturne especially seems to go for insane prices on eBay and the like.

I've been trying to get through the Aegis section of Persona 3 Fes, and have the next Devil Summoner (... Vs. King Adabbon), the updated version of SMT3 that came with new Devil Summoner, and Persona 4 to go through. I probably will pick up the new DS game (Megami Ibunroku Devil Survivor) if I have the money, but probably not play it right away :monster:

Last edited by a moderator:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I got Nocturne back when it came out. I couldnt get into it and I think I ended up selling it. I hate myself for that now. A)Now that I'm older I think I would better appreciate it and B)Even if I didn't, I could sell it for a lot of money.

I'm also currently playing Persona 3. I really like it but wow is it long. It's the longest main quest I've ever seen in a video game. It's also unlike anything I've ever played and despite it being super weird and japanese, it's really addictive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
As long as you use spoiler tags, it'd be fine :monster:

I think I liked the French song :monster: But from the bit I've heard, I do like P4's music.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I liked P3's music except the Dorm music and the Velvet Room music. The Dorm song is just bad (just having reached the last month I was happy to discover the change to the much better song). The Velvet Room song is fine, the problem is its so damn repetitive. Even so it probably wouldn't be such an issue if you didn't spend such long stretches of time in there when fusing personae.

I also like how Tartarus' theme is the same but slightly tweaked in the all the blocks. Especially the night club-looking one (5th I believe) where they jsut turned up the drum beat :)

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
The dorm music ("dance, bitch, or I'll put you in a trance" or something) was a bit strange :monster:

I do like the final boss remix of 'Everyone's Soul', though.

Tir McDohl

rune bearer
AKA
Yula
The opening for P4 is fantastic. It's one of those that gets you really really pumped about playing the game. The music is awesome, and you can actually understand(most)of what they are saying.

It's great. I watch it every time I start the game up, even though I'm thirty hours in.

Of course, it's still funny to see people include fake subtitles. Like, here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkSTrxSqnFk&feature=related"]YouTube - Persona 4 Opening-WITH SUBS![/ame]

Cloti

Rookie Adventurer
love this series! already finished Nocturne and the Digital Devil Saga series. I liked DDS specially one of the best stories of the last years and the cutscenes were so well acted,I also loved the mantra system(though it always made you run out of money)
I got Persona 3 and 4 for Christmas so I hope I can start them soon,I was able to get(miracously)Persona 1 and 2 for PSX so I want to play them first(I believe the first half of persona 2 is in japanese but they released and english patch for it, so I guess I`ll have to mod my psx or something)
I also have "Devil Summoner" but I haven't played it.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Yeah, Persona 2 was in two parts (Tsumi & Batsu/Innocent Sin & Eternal Punishment), with only Punishment being localised.

I don't have either. I should look for them :monster:

I have Persona 1, but got stuck on the Snow Queen quest and got distracted by something else :monster: I'll pick it up again when I finish some other stuff.

Mako

Rookie Adventurer
I've played 3 and 4 and am completely in love, particularly with 4. I just finished 4 two days ago and I thought the battle system was greatly improved from 3, plus the characters and story were great. Make sure to go for the perfect ending, though! There's this one part where Yosuke asks you all these questions and if you get even one of them wrong you get the shitty ending. >_<

I have the original of Persona 3, not FES. :( Would it be worth it for me to buy FES for the extra content and sell my original?

Also, what other games in the series should I try?

I saw a copy of Nocturne at Gamestop for $40 and took the case to the desk and they told me they didn't actually have it, they'd just left the case on the shelf. >_< Annoyed the hell outta me, these games are so expensive and hard to find!

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I never played the original P3, only Fes, so I can't compare from experience.

- New 'Hard' difficulty level
- New equipment which changes the character's appearence in battle
- 23 new Persona
- Weapon fusion (combine weapons and a Persona)
- New requests from Elizabeth
- New bonus scenario "Episode Aegis" (separate from main game)
- Aegis S-Link added
- School lessons and questions have been changed
- Game Centre at the mall added (lets you increases your and Persona stats)
- Added stuff at the temple (gives you special benefits, such as increases your money, EXP boosts, etc.)
- Taking Koromaru for walks
- New events
- Loading data from the original game, which transfers:
-- Your Persona Compendium data
-- Mixraid data
-- Academic, Charm, and Courage stats
-- The items you receive for leveling up S-Links to 10

If that sounds like something you'd be interested in? I don't get why they didn't just release Fes first. It was out before the English one was released, and not just before the English one was released or anything.

As for the others:

Nocturne: Different from most modern JRPGs. No voice acting, more minimalist story, harder than most. But as a game, it's excellect IMO.

Digital Devil Saga: More of a standard JRPG. More cinematic, voice acting, a bit easier than Nocturne but still good.

Devil Summoner: Maybe the weakest of the three, but not to say it's terrible. An action RPG rather than turn-based, and using the demons in the field is interesting (but perhaps under-used a bit, I can't remember).

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I was really hoping to beat P3 (its also original, by the way) before I left, but I don't think I"ll be able to. I'm on January 4th and stuck on floor 236. So between leveling for that battle and the remaining 3 mini-bosses, not to mention the
purportedly hour and half + final boss
. I don't think there's any chance of my finishing it in time.

So I guess it'll have to wait until I get home. :(

kunoichi

dead
I first got into the SMT series when I got lucifers call, enjoyed that greatly, then I got digital devil saga 1 and 2 and loved 'em, wasn't too keen on the soulless army but really liked Persona 3. I think I'll end up liking Persona 4 :)

Countess Ariadne

Pro Adventurer
I own Persona 3 FES and 4, but I've only played 3 so far. It's one of the few games where I prefer the gameplay to the storyline.

It is the longest game ever, though. It took me 101 hours to get through The Journey on normal mode, and that's not including the Elizabeth battle or anything. XD

I want to play Digital Devil Saga, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere locally...

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
New Raidou is getting an English release, but in limited numbers apparently.

So if you want it/a possible future investment, better get it quick :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
A Raiho one, apparently.

If you're only getting that and not updated SMT3, I feel sorry for the US :monster:

And need to start playing it myself :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I did play the first Persona, although got stuck on the Snow Queen bit and stopped/got distracted by something else :monster:

Now I don't know if I should bother playing the PS1 version or just wait for the PSP one.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
That song reminds of the later Personas. Was that there originally?

I'm still tempted to go back to the original, but not by the whole 'getting kill then losing hours of progress' :monster: At least this new one will have more save points. But my finances look bleak and I don't know if I can get the PSP one, straight away at least.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I would. I've only ever played Persona/SMT games in Japanese, so that's all I know for it.

The Japanese versions is pretty much all I ever get nowadays, except rarely when there's someone else who might want to play it and doesn't have their own.

Top Bottom