Vincent x Yuffie - A Laborous Love

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
I'm so happy to see this group getting some more attention! :excited:

New members have been updated on the first post! Welcome one and all! :)

Agreed. I think a lot of fanfic writers just have this attitude of "lol, opposites attract!" and think it works.

... and ...

I have to agree at how badly written the pairing can be, which was part of what put me off it at first (along with my own desire for Yuffie...). The worst just have them together with no explanation, which, considering how little they interact in FFVII, is a little off.

Agreed; I think that Vincent and Yuffie are both characters an author has to show and explain how things in life happen and effect the characters just because of who they are.

Both are deep characters, though Yuffie is much more at ease at talking out what it is that she feels inside. She doesn't really conceal much, though even with her one has to listen and/or read between the lines. When she speaks about stealing materia - she's really stating that she holds Wutai's being above herself in (nearly?) all things.

Vincent is sort of the same, except he doesn't put into words what he's feeling or thinking. Perhaps he doesn't see the value, after what happened to Lucrecia and the end result with Sephiroth. Vincent may have to be dragged into something, but it's his actions that talk.

Overall, while this is only my opinion, it seems that some authors think it's easy to put these two together. I disagree, even though I love the pairing! The two just don't 'go together' - something has to be there, and the author has to find and then explain that something, to put them together.

Last edited:

Smaddy

Green Mage
Overall, while this is only my opinion, it seems that some authors think it's easy to put these two together. I disagree, even though I love the pairing! The two just don't 'go together' - something has to be there, and the author has to find and then explain that something, to put them together.
I agree. I really don't have a 'canon' pairing that I like with Vincent. I'm still on the fence about Lucrecia, even. I don't like how Square wrote her with him at all. But I won't get into that here... :P

I think a lot of people based this whole Yuffie/Vincent pairing off their interactions in DOC. Just because they had scenes with each other doesn't mean anything.

I think it can be done, but it has to be written properly. You can't write it in a 'love at first sight' way either, because the first thing out of Yuffie's mouth if you bring her when you find Vincent is her saying how boring he is. XD

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
I think it can be done, but it has to be written properly. You can't write it in a 'love at first sight' way either, because the first thing out of Yuffie's mouth if you bring her when you find Vincent is her saying how boring he is. XD

And, all Vincent can say about Yuffie is that she looks familiar. :P

Yeah, drop dead love-sick at first sight, indeed! :D

Smaddy

Green Mage
And, all Vincent can say about Yuffie is that she looks familiar. :P
And just barely! When they encounter each other for the first time in DOC, he barely recognizes her, until she introduces herself. And even then it's like "oh... Yuffie... (let me try to get up and out of her even though I'm kinda fatally wounded)... :shifty:"

:lol:

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I think VincentxYuffie has existed since the first game didn't include them in the ending. Also, not joining the club, cause I like single!Vincent. :awesome:

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
Terra, it's okay, you're still welcome! :)

And just barely! When they encounter each other for the first time in DOC, he barely recognizes her, until she introduces herself. And even then it's like "oh... Yuffie... (let me try to get up and out of her even though I'm kinda fatally wounded)... :shifty:"

Well, let's be fair, not many fans knew it was Yuffie either. :P

Vincent's not impressed by Yuffie's dancing and jumping around.

When she hit her head, he probably was rolling his eyes.

If she was seriously hurt, he would be concerned; but... she's not, so Mr. Sarcasm arises.

Smaddy

Green Mage
I think VincentxYuffie has existed since the first game didn't include them in the ending. Also, not joining the club, cause I like single!Vincent. :awesome:
Oh, so that's where they were~!! :awesome:

It's cute when you have to explain to the newer fans why they weren't in any of the FMVs/ending. I don't blame 'em too much for being confused though, later installments of the Compilation assume you recruit both Yuffie and Vincent.

And yay, another fan of single Vincent!

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1580443/1/ < There ya go. That one has been on my faves list for a loonnng time. Shame it was never finished.
Ah, thanks. ^_^ I agree it's a shame the story was never finished, but that happens with quite a few good fics. :( Oh, it also happens with mine all too often.
But then again, it's extremely difficult to find a well-written Vincent fanfic, period...
...OUCH. Pride -2000HP! :lol: I write Vincent fanfics, in case you hadn't guessed. Nothing on the pairing side, though - although I had Cloud and Tifa married as a bit of background detail in one fic... :awesome:
Well, let's be fair, not many fans knew it was Yuffie either. :P
I'm one of the ones who guessed within minutes of the first preview image being released. ^_^

Smaddy

Green Mage
OUCH. Pride -2000HP! :lol: I write Vincent fanfics, in case you hadn't guessed. Nothing on the pairing side, though - although I had Cloud and Tifa married as a bit of background detail in one fic...
I'm not sure if I've read any of your fanfics.

Mantichorus said:
I'm one of the ones who guessed within minutes of the first preview image being released. ^_^
I could tell it was Yuffie because of her voice. But I could understand why Vincent might not recognize her voice -- even though it had only been one year since AC/C... :P

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
I'm not sure if I've read any of your fanfics.
If we're honest... prob'ly better for you that way. :P But, if you wanna check one out: http://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3171

Single Vincent, with Chaos snarking in his ear. Appearances via flashback for Hojo and Lucrecia.
I could tell it was Yuffie because of her voice. But I could understand why Vincent might not recognize her voice -- even though it had only been one year since AC/C... :P
Actually, I recognised her from promo artwork prior to the release of AC. :P The footwear, build, and, oh yeah, FRICKIN' HUGE SHURIKEN gave it away. Oh, the arguements on ACF from people convinced the "Mysterious Ninja" was teh nu charkter... :wacky:

OK, since we're approaching the Libra/Scorpio cusp, and Vin's a libra and Yuffie's a scorpio, I thought I'd do a random search for the compatibility for the two signs. :awesome:
The dynamic partnership between a Libra, an air sign who is ruled by the planet Venus, and a Scorpio, a water sign guided by both Mars and Pluto, can be a rather satisfying union that is connected on a deep, emotional level. However, the two must learn to accept each other’s different attitudes and views on life for the relationship to be a success.

The Good Side

Of all the twelve astrological signs and their many combinations, Libra and Scorpio have a great capacity to be extremely loyal and devoted partners when it comes to a romantic relationship. Because the best decisions are made using the heart as well as the mind, the coupling of Libra and Scorpio is an excellent choice, as the two complement each other well and will be able to easily face any challenge together.

Scorpios tend to brood and can be rather emotional at times, but even-keeled Libras will help to keep them on the right track and bring a harmonious balance to their lives. All Libras have a love for the beautiful and serene things in life that will help bring peace to the often tumultuous, emotional side of their Scorpio mates.

Libras will be at their absolute happiest when they’re in a well balanced relationship. In return, Scorpio will then help Libra stay focused when it comes to the many minute details of everyday life. Neither of these two signs are the argumentative sort and when they do come together, whether it be in matters of business or romance, they can accomplish just about anything they set their minds to.

The Bad Side

One of the few drawbacks of a Libra-Scorpio union is their very different communication styles. While Scorpios tend to be secretive, Libras are always upfront with their feelings. Because both will do anything in their power to avoid a fight or disagreement, it’s important for them to learn how to come to a resolution that suits each side without harboring any resentment or ill will.

Scorpios tend to be highly emotional and can easily over-dramatize situations to the point of irritating their Libra mates, but they also have a tendency to use the silent treatment, something that will usually frustrate the normally easy-going Libra. Scorpios may also be possessive by nature and display a jealous side, something that Libras will have to deal with using their inherent diplomacy skills.

Libras are always thinking of the next exciting thing to try or of a new place to visit or explore, but may lack the follow-through to make these visions a reality. Ultimately, it will be the more focused Scorpio who sees to it that the plans are followed through on, bringing with them a uniquely wise take on life that will fascinate Libra and bring these two even closer on a deep level of understanding that other signs of the zodiac rarely achieve together.

Overall, those Scorpios who are born between October 24 and November 2 tend to be the most compatible with the sign of Libra, as they tend to have many of the same traits as their Scorpio mates, since they’re born on the cusp between the two signs. However, any members of these two signs – regardless of their exact date of birth – are likely to find happiness and contentment together, powered by shared goals and similar lifestyles.
source: http://www.zodiacs4u.com/2008/09/libra-and-scorpio-compatibility.html

Of course, somewhat amusingly, the scorpio sounds more like Vincent in places and the libra, Yuffie. :awesome:

Smaddy

Green Mage
I'll check it out, Manti. I didn't intend to offend you or anything. Sorry. I'm just super-picky about certain stuff.

The Horoscopes... Yeah, if you switch the signs, it fits.

That's why I think it would have been more interesting had they presented young Vincent as being a little more outgoing and vibrant.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
I'll check it out, Manti. I didn't intend to offend you or anything. Sorry. I'm just super-picky about certain stuff.
:lol: Don't worry, I wasn't offended. But like I said, my pride did take a bruising. Serves it right, in my super-ego's humble opinion. :P
The Horoscopes... Yeah, if you switch the signs, it fits.

That's why I think it would have been more interesting had they presented young Vincent as being a little more outgoing and vibrant.
Yeah, he seems to have always been a bit brooding... I bet he wrote bad poetry in college. Oh wait, that's me. :awesome:

Miki_Akemi

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Tra-La-La
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1580443/1/ < There ya go. That one has been on my faves list for a loonnng time. Shame it was never finished.

I agree it is so hard to find good YuffiexVincent fanfics. And this one is my absolute favorite! I really wished that they would have finished it as well especially with where they stopped. It was getting really good, and I wanted to know what was going to happen! >..<

Kassi

Pro Adventurer
AKA
tardis60, dephinia
May I join, pretty please with materia on top?

I read in some other thread a unilateral dismissal of Yuffentine on the grounds of the sweeping generalization that an introvert and an extrovert would never get along. It was said with such finality I figured that person would probably not listen to my thoughts on the issue, so I'd like to share them here among more open-minded company.

1) People don't control who they fall in love with. Even if they really want to. Tragic love stories litter history and literature.
2) My mother is so introverted she never leaves the house, and my dad's extroversion at times borders on the narcissistic. Their relationship isn't easy but they've been married for 40 years.
3) They are not the only extreme introvert/extrovert couple I have seen, and the ones I know must work hard to be together, usually because their love and commitment is quite strong to motivate them to do so.

Anyway... those are my two gil. I'm an Aurikku nut and I see a lot of similarities in Yuffentine.

NOTE: I have not yet had time to play DoC but it's waiting for me and I hope I'll have some squee-worthy moments!

<3
Kassi

Charles Xavier

Pro Adventurer
*revives*

Oh, Yuffentine. I love it. I write it, I read it, will occasionally watch youtube vids of it and I could probably write a thesis paper on it. It had never even really occurred to me as a pairing after playing the original game - and then I read Sink and Sunshine in Winter and I was gone. It's a pairing with awesome amounts of potential, having two such different personalities. When it's done right it becomes even more plausible to me than CloTi.:D

Well, I hope you fellas don't mind me reviving his thread but regarding Sink to the Bottom With You, I recently recovered an old email from Catalina dating back to 2002, which contains some spoilers about how the story would have ended. If there's anyone here still holding interest, I can gladly forward you her message. Just drop me a PM or email ([email protected]).

Last edited:
He may be fifty in terms of years he's been alive, but he's been in suspended animation since he was what, 24? He hasn't actually grown any older physically or matured psychologically in all that time, so I'd say it's arguable that he's literally fifty.

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
Generally there's an understanding that if you don't like a ship, you don't post in that ship's thread.

Maybe there needs to be clearer anti-ship post rules around here. Although the general don't be a dick rule covers pretty much everything.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
feel free to create a seperate thread debating the ethics of shipping a young looking immortal man with a 16 year old mortal girl :monster:

wasn't twilight based on the exact same idea? could make for some interesting discourse. :awesomonster:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Well, I hope you fellas don't mind me reviving his thread but regarding Sink to the Bottom With You, I recently recovered an old email from Catalina dating back to 2002, which contains some spoilers about how the story would have ended. If there's anyone here still holding interest, I can gladly forward you her message. Just drop me a PM or email ([email protected]).
If you still have that I'd like to see it. I sent you a PM.

That fic is my next book project lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom