Weekly roundups

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Would someone else like to do a roundup this week? I'll post a different article this week - the top seven lines of dialogue from FFVII. I'll also be away for the weekend and although I'll have access to the internet, it would be nice to take a break :)

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
It would be either Shinto or Buddhism or a mixture of both (or not really practising, like how people who don't strictly practice Christian still 'celebrate' Christmas/etc. in the West) in Japan.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Someone had better write/publish an article in the next week, otherwise our three related articles linked underneath the main one are going to be the same as the three other top stories on the front page :P Actually, I'm planning to write one myself...

I'll have something up in a few hours. :monster:

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
This funny yet also informative video definitely deserves a spot in the next roundup.

I think this is against Christianity, not against religion or spirituality outright.

Christianity has a blood thirsty history; in fact, it's not surprising to me that the Muslims (not all) are causing the Christians issues, because the Christians (again, not all) did it to the Muslims hundreds of years ago - over and over (ie: the Crusades, for one.)

The Judeo-Christian and Muslim god was known in the Ancient world as a blood thirsty god (possibly not a full god, but a demi-god or godling, not high up in the hierarchy of things). Here's the thing: Most of the gods of the Ancient times were blood thirsty. It was because the spirits known as the gods to these cultures were in line with the cultures.

Cultures in the Near East were valued strength and harmony (which most likely included justice, fairness, balance, how things worked in nature). Interestingly, their lives were filled with a lot of hardships. The area of the Tigris and Euphrates region is a harsh region, even though the Old Testament of the Bible, which is from Judaic sources, says it was a paradise. The people who lived there had a lot to overcome from nature, so they had to be strong, and when all aligned to give those same cultures peace and prosperity, harmony was also highly valued.

I think it's not just about Japan, overall, but I think someone (or some people) really did their homework. Of course, Japan is also multi-religious, I guess you could say (as the video explained); shintoism has many gods and goddesses. Christianity has always been a 'pushy' religion, and some people push back - and, that's my feeling about this subject. It's a push back against Christian imperialism and teachings of being superior.

* All words used are my own interpretation and/or opinion.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/595616/Tigris-Euphrates-river-system/48100/Climate

http://www.megaessays.com/viewpaper/27731.html (I didn't read the whole essays, but the excerpts are good.)

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The Christian world and the Muslim world simply flipped. In Medieval times the Muslim world was one of progress in maths and sciences and high culture while West wallowed in closedmindedness and oppression.
Now its the "Christian" world that's progressing and the Muslim world that's backwards. I doubt it has much to do with revenge. Besides, the Christians got summarily trounced in the Crusades.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
My take on the religion thing (reposted from Shademp's visitor messages :monster:):

Pretty fun video. I think they only provide half the answer as to the "why" of the whole thing, though.

Prior to World War II, you didn't see this kind of thing in Japanese art. Following, there was not only a group shame in the Japanese collective unconscious (the Japanese people blamed the emperor for the atomic bomb rather than the U.S.), but an intense distrust toward organized anything, especially religion.

As part of Japan's surrender, the emperor had to publically declare that he was not a god-like being. The people felt deceived, disgraced and left to shoulder the guilt of countless deaths -- including the use against their own people of the most horrific weapon mankind had yet devised.

It's really no wonder they don't trust religion that calls for blind faith in divinity. Part of it is the culture of achieving the most on a personal level, yes, but that is a cultural element born from the shame that followed WWII, in which personal honor and glory was thought to be achieved through service to the glory of the empire. Valuing personal achievement and disavowing, in the wake of the war, blind faith in beings that claim to be higher than man are intrinsically related.

I think within the Final Fantasy series, this is most apparent of all in the message Braska left to Yuna in one of the Jecht Spheres:

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
Just saying, so far the most populat TLS posts in tumblr is the same sex marriage and FF being anti-religion. Says stuff about tumblr people. Now the FFXIII Type-0 is getting more notes but let's see tomorrow I just posted it.

Lex

Administrator
Flint, if you still can't take care of a roundup this weekend and no one else wants to do it, I'll get it done by Sunday/Monday night.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Flint, if you still can't take care of a roundup this weekend and no one else wants to do it, I'll get it done by Sunday/Monday night.
That would be most excellent of you. It'd give me a chance to finally put together the seven best lines of Final Fantasy VII article, though I probably wouldn't publish it on the same day as your roundup.

Thanks, and just let me know if you need anything :)

Lex

Administrator
OK, I'm just getting round to this now. Should be up in a couple of hours, literally just got in the door. Shouldn't take long to write one up though :)

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
OK, I'm just getting round to this now. Should be up in a couple of hours, literally just got in the door. Shouldn't take long to write one up though :)

Sweet. I've started working on my "The Seven" article this evening. I've compiled the seven quotes which will be included, made a graphic and written an intro, but now I'm going to play Final Fantasy IX for a bit :)

Lex

Administrator
I was really struggling to choose a third news item to include. At first I had "new image shows FFXIV PS3 controller system" and I was like... do not want.

But then I found that War of the Lions thing and I was pleasantly surprised, upscaled graphics and such. It wasn't as widely reported as it would normally be, it was almost completely buried by random FF reviews/ X HD articles.

The news item actually links to our FF Tactics section, since we don't have a dedicated thread and I didn't want to make one (I was also shocked that we actually have a FF Tactics sub-forum btw).

I have War of the Lions for the PSP but I'm thinking about getting it for my nexus, it'd be nicer to play it with smoother graphics on a larger screen.

This Escapist article about FFXIV: A Realm Reborn claims...

Yoshida promises many nods to classic Final Fantasy elements, like the Crystal Tower from FFIII as a raid location and the Golden Saucer from FFVII (to be added in a later patch). There are even plans for chocobo breeding in the future (!), and winks to classic summons, spells, and armor from past titles. There's a lot of nostalgia attached to the 25 years we've known Final Fantasy, and Yoshida plans to remind players of the things that made them fall in love with the franchise as they roam Eorzea.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It sounds like he's off to a good start, cranking up the fanservice and titillating the nostalgia clit. If you're handed shit, make shitonade, right?

Top Bottom