FFVII Rebirth at Tokyo Game Show '23 and media bonanza

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Lots of news and impressions coming in. Figured a new topic might be good. First and foremost, the news that is most pressing to me, a person with a Vincent pfp:

Vincent Valentine Will Be an 'Accompanying Character' in Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth

PS Blog:

IGN:

Game Informer:

Eurogamer:

Push Square:

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Kotaku:

Gamespot:

VG 24/7:

Inverse (with interview):

Digital Trends:

Dengeki and Famitsu have videos that capture most of the demos:

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
These are five reviews from YouTubers that launched exactly one hour ago, like a beautiful synchronized dance. They all have unique footage I think.

Maximilian Dood

SarahKey

ItsLazBoi

GameRiot

Jesse Cox

edit: after watching all that footage, I've removed the clickbaits. Based on what I've seen I liked SarahKeys video and then LaZBoi has a balanced look.

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
From the Inverse interview. Big news for Rufus fans.

“With Remake, we went further in-depth into Avalanche in ways that were not done in the original,” Nomura tells Inverse. “This will be done for Rufus as well. He will have some sort of new episodes that do not exist in the original, where we will get to know more about him and dig deeper.”

Altogether, there's honestly just too much to process. Aerial combat, new materia (dual elements!?), climbing mechanics, new story beats and subtext, the aesthetic of the party menu. I'm toast.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Final Fantasy 7: Rebirth Will Include a 'New Episode With Zack'

Kitase: "Furthermore, as you know, within the original Final Fantasy 7, the character Zack Fair is one that doesn't appear as much in the original title," he said. "However, we see at the end of Remake that he has appeared, which, you know, is quite a difference from the original title. And as for Rebirth, there will be a new episode with Zach, that will contain even more of him than the Remake. I'm not able to say much more than this as I would like for players to play and experience this with it in their own hands."

Outright confirmation that Zack will be playable? No. Absolutely looking like it? Yes.

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE

Interview with Kitase/Hamaguchi/Nomura. Reiteration by Nomura that all locations from the original game will be included.

ph14basicbitch

shinra merch buyer
AKA
koda
Maaaaan, I almost wanna say that Fujikei is too recognizable to replace without it feeling weird... It's not like his work as Reno was his only big role. He dubbed over RDJ's Iron Man, he was the dad on Shin Crayon, he worked with Nomura on KH (Axel) and FF15 (Ardyn) too.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
krieger-erect.gif

Hot damn this all looks so, so good. It needs to be February posthaste

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Things I noticed watching the Dengeki footage. These are small detail things
  • Can roll outside of battle
  • On the equipment screen, items and armor are 3D, not jpegs like in Remake
  • Materia Keeper Guardian is weak to fire, whereas in the OG it absorbed fire
  • Firaga now takes 2 ATB to cast, but only costs 14 MP
  • At the end of the Materia Guardian boss fight, Sephiroth has infinite MP. It appears to be a status as an icon is shown
  • You collect crafting materials by running over them
  • You can swap party members on the fly, even while exploring
  • The World Report feature appears to have a narrator. They talk a lot.
  • The lighting in the menus (which is now full 3D) changes with the time of day. Compare the lightning between the demos to see for youself
  • Normal rabbits exist in the world of FFVII @Erotic Materia
  • Rebirth is much more text heavy than Remake, both in menus and while exploring. It's so much information, it reminds me of Dissidia NT in battle
Going to watch the Famitsu videos later. Will share my notes for that too.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Here are two videos of the complete demo without commentary. They're in Japanese.

The boss battle against Bottomswell Terror of the Deep is the Gigantepede boss theme from Episode Intermission. Got goosebumps hearing that again. So fucking good.

The fight against the Materia Keeper is amazing. LOL Sephiroth having to come to Cloud's help is hilarious. I love how in control Sephiroth looks through the fight, like he's just having fun. Also he has infinite MP because why wouldn't he? Double Helix is just perfect lolol

Just. February can't come soon enough.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Now this is the standard of exploration that I expected from VIIR1 and XVI. Looks really promising from the footage I've seen.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
  • New "First Strike" mechanic. I wonder if the "First Strike" materia from Remake still exists.
  • World Report feature is a handheld device
1695292346982.png
  • Not an observation, but a thought: will there still be a CPR minigame? On Yuffie!?
  • Famitsu footage has a visual bug throughout the Terror of the Deep boss fight where the dock forgot to load. Obviously this is a demo and not representative of the final game. Buuut considering Rebirth is bigger than Remake with a shorter turnaround time, I hope that didn't come at the cost of QA.
1695292829254.png
  • Did not expect that you'll be able to swim in this game
1695293022328.png
  • Weapons level up as well, just like in Remake.
  • Looks like there's a "guide" mechanic to show you the way
1695293117694.png

D

Deleted member 13557

Can’t wait to play around with synergy skills and abilities. Simple stuff like Cloud being able to toss Tifa into the air with his buster sword to start aerial combos during normal combat is just so cool to me.

Interested in seeing more Red XIII gameplay. I guess he’s a melee tank while Barret is a ranged tank?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
The second gameplay vid from Max Dood has some good info. Every character now has a parry, which is pretty sick.
And there is double elemental magic materia (Fire and Ice)???
Interesting is that in addition to Barrier and Manaward there is also Protect and Shell...I don't know how these are effectively different although Protect/Shell seems to have passive protection when used with Warding materia.

Also, in the Sarahkey video I caught Red XIII mentioning Fort Condor as being on an island and that there is currently no way to get to it, which is some interesting lore for Remake. =p

ForceStealer

Double Growth
The Synergy abilties are also a smart way to create a bunch of character-specific special moves that they can tease out so they don't have to rush through all the original's limit breaks, which I wasn't sure how they could have avoided unlocking them all in this game, haha.

Interesting is that in addition to Barrier and Manaward there is also Protect and Shell...I don't know how these are effectively different although Protect/Shell seems to have passive protection when used with Warding materia.
That is interesting.

And the Fort Condor being an island is an elegant way to push that off. And also interesting from a generally higher ocean level in the Planet's high-res appearances. From the water seeming to come right up to Midgar in Advent Children, to Mt. Nibel's proximity to the ocean in this demo.

All this shit deserves another front page article but I honestly don't even know where to being, lol

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
IGN interview asking the real questions:

IGN: So you mentioned that Zack has his own episode in Rebirth. What about any other characters from Crisis Core? Is there any world where Genesis returns to the FF7 Remake games?

TN
: So, any characters beyond what is shown in the trailer, we're unable to speak on.

With that in mind, should we expect to see the Whispers of Fate again throughout Rebirth?

NH
: So as you know, with Remake as well, Whispers are these beings that arrive at these pivotal moments within the story. And you know, we aren't quite yet announcing whether they will be gracing their presence within Rebirth as well. So this is something that we'd like for users to stay tuned for.

Really like the phrasing "gracing their presence".

Top Bottom