FFVII Rebirth at Tokyo Game Show '23 and media bonanza

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Yeah FFXVI can eat a dick

This is looking to be like, the best FF game ever, period.
I highly doubt it will surpass XVI in terms of storytelling, voice direction, dialogue... at least based on previous Nomura games and VIIR1 itself.

Pretty sure it will be superior in terms of overall gameplay and exploration based on TGS footage.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
See, I think XVI's storytelling was pretty awful, but that's not a universal opinion lol. Dialogue was very unmemorable in XVI to me too tbh. Voice direction was excellent though, that's true.

But I'm just talking like... that's one game-ass looking game they're making, and I think there's a much better philosophy behind it. XVI wanted to be taken seriously at the expense of fun, and it made things feel very empty beyond the combat.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Bruh, if this track is included in the piano rhythm game (and I would be very surprised if it isn't), prepare for Hardcore difficulty lmao:

This is always the song that makes me wish I didn't stop piano lessons :lol:
And the rhythm game is great, but I also love that you can still free-play it like the original. I remember my friends and I working out how to play Ode to Joy in it :P

And yeah I never imagined we'd be getting all these minigames across the world on top of Gold Saucer. Square has seemed so reluctant to do much in the way of minigames over the last 15 years. XV made some effort with the mobile and pinball games. X-2 was the last time they went this hard I think, and all of those games sucked :lol:
Just incredible, I keep saying it :monster:

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
See, I think XVI's storytelling was pretty awful, but that's not a universal opinion lol. Dialogue was very unmemorable in XVI to me too tbh. Voice direction was excellent though, that's true.

But I'm just talking like... that's one game-ass looking game they're making, and I think there's a much better philosophy behind it. XVI wanted to be taken seriously at the expense of fun, and it made things feel very empty beyond the combat.
Well, at the end of the day, execution is all that matters even if the philosophy is "better". FFVIIR felt inferior to FFXVI when it comes to storytelling imo. I still have hope Rebirth wont repeat the same mistakes.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Literal shower thoughts about modes of transportation and minigames and listen, I know we're getting ahead of ourselves here but, part 3.

Snowboard! Everyone obviously expects this to be a minigame. It likely will be but I thought - what if they also make it a mode of transportation? Just a thing you can equip while you're on the glacier map and then you can just speed down slopes and shit.

How dope would that be!

But why stop there! Listen: Corel Desert. Sandboarding!! I mean we're gonna return to a few locations from prior games, so let's change things up!

But wait wait WAIT! HEAR ME OUT.

TINY BRONCO + SNOWBOARD = WAKEBOARDING IN COSTA DEL SOL!

Hire me as an idea guy, Square Enix. I'l DM you my rates.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Minigames are meh and a waste of resources. Can't believe people are getting unironically hyped over Ubisoft towers...

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
Minigames are meh and a waste of resources. Can't believe people are getting unironically hyped over Ubisoft towers...
It depends. I think its very important to diversify the activities available to the player when you want a +50h game (to avoid repetition and staleness).

From what I see, minigames are integrated in many instances instead of the game being just combat so I can only see it as a plus.

Last edited:

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
TGS Gameplay without commentary in English.

Damn Im loving the music and world, despite changes in the starter areas, its really feelin like FFVII.

I dont think there's confirmation yet but I hope there's a real-time day-night cycle.

Golden Ear

Pro Adventurer
AKA
M. Prod
The only thing that's distracting me is the the graphically pop in, I hope that gets ironed out a bit better compared to the current build. Everything else is amazing of course.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Excuse the crappy crop job haha. I'm wondering if the cover for Remerge ;) will have a blue background

Attachments

• remake and rebirth.png
    remake and rebirth.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 10

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
They really did that scene perfectly. I didn't think they could surpass it.

The extra long stare Sephiroth does at the viewer is what sells it. It's intimidating, creepy and malicious. And then the subtle smirk.

The way he then slowly, almost mechanically turns around into the flames just.

Yeah, this is the best version of that infamous scene. :monster:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
No Idea why I just engaged in this pointlessness with CCO's map composite but it was a fun if confusing 10 minutes of my life:

View attachment 13874

Fort Condor now being an island is melting my brain.

It's probably more helpful to compare this to the new FFVII World Map from Ever Crisis, as that has some more clear features at a different scale to the one in Rebirth.
pb1rfrpjagbb1.jpg

With the way the river meanders here, it's easier to see how Fort Condor ends up cut off as an island. The differences in geography here also help to give a decent impression of how things are broken up into major zones in Rebirth, with things like Gongaga & Cosmo Canyon broken away more significantly from the North Corel & Gold Saucer regions of the Western Continent, but also for more end-game type content like how the region of Bone Village & the Forgotten Capital are fairly clearly divided from the more frozen reaches of Icicle Inn & North Crater.

With the information that the Weapon shown in the trailer is a new one that hasn't been present in the game before, I'm rather curious if we'll end up seeing the ruins of Banora as there was an Emerald-like Weapon hidden in the depths there, and that would make a natural point of exploration as Zack & Cloud encountered it on the route from Nibelheim to Midgar, so it would be logical to pass it when going from Midgar to Nibelheim.

It seems that Modeoheim at least is likely to remain outside of the region we explore until the final game, but the other notable detail from the Ever Crisis map is that the region north of North Corel where the Materia Cave is seems to be rather specifically zoned in a way that seems likely to have been made into an explorable region, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's where some of the new/extra content of the game ends up being focused, especially if it's focused around new Summon Materia which has also been confirmed.

X :neo:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
TGS Gameplay without commentary in English.

The original uploader took the video down. Luckily, others nabbed it before then, like this channel:

Judging from the Glenikas and helicopters, it would seem Shinra began their manhunt for the party at Kalm, necessitating their escape through a backdoor. I wonder if the arrival of the military will interrupt Cloud's retelling of the Nibelheim Incident.

1695641866570.png

It's hard to make out, but you can see a bit of the badlands that surround Kalm in the upper left of the image below. The map shows that this area will be explorable. A pretty radical shift in "biome" compared to the grasslands on the other side of the city.

Personally, I would've preferred for Rebirth to utilize zones instead of being one continuous map. That way the world feels larger, but alas. On the plus side, I'm confident that we'll be flying around with the Highwind in Part 3, revisiting all these areas and then some.

1695641898456.png

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
The original uploader took the video down. Luckily, others nabbed it before then, like this channel:

Judging from the Glenikas and helicopters, it would seem Shinra began their manhunt for the party at Kalm, necessitating their escape through a backdoor. I wonder if the arrival of the military will interrupt Cloud's retelling of the Nibelheim Incident.

View attachment 13878

It's hard to make out, but you can see a bit of the badlands that surround Kalm in the upper left of the image below. The map shows that this area will be explorable. A pretty radical shift in "biome" comparted to the grasslands on the other side of the city.

Personally, I would've preferred for Rebirth to utilize zones instead of being one continuous map, that way the world feels larger, but alas. On the plus side, I'm confident that we'll be flying around with the Highwind in Part 3, revisiting all these areas and then some.

View attachment 13879
Man, something that I really like about this last screenshot is how you really get a sense of the way in which the Mako pipelines are delivering power to various locations that directly conflict with the natural landscape. While I think that there's some benefit to zones in making the map feel larger, I think that we'll still get a sense of scale with the different regions of the map being cut off from one another as you start exploring. We already know that certain chocobos are specific to different regions, so I expect that we'll feel that different places have a different level of scale based on how you're able to explore a map like this, compared to the winding maze-like cliffs of Cosmo Canyon. There's an INSANE amount of world, and you always have to balance that scope vs. density of having anything to do there is extremely important to making that an engaging experience to play.

With the way that the load times in Rebirth are just essentially nonexistent, I think that it's the journey through the story that'll make the world feel large, and by the time you know how many different places there are to go, it won't feel small. After all, the world of the original FFVII feels large even though it's just populated by a few sparse locations with precious little to do on the world map itself by comparison. While FFXV has an enormous map where there's a lot of open space, but the exploration there feels purposeful and fits in to the occasionally aimless meanderings of being on a road trip together where it's just about being out in the vast wilderness together, but that wouldn't totally work from FFVII. I think that it's one of those things where there are moments in FFXVI where the depth and detail of its world feel AMAZINGLY realized, but then it's completely undercut by the fact that there's not a single goddamn thing to do or a reason to be there aside from just pass through it towards an objective and then move on. Rebirth seems to be the ideal distillation of size and content so that it gives you a sense of what that whole area of the world is.

Part of the main point of having this level of focus on the world is that I expect that by the time we get to the point of the final game and (assumedly) having access to the Highwind & Submarine, we'll be poised to take on the world map at a slightly different scale that's a bit less condensed than that of Rebirth. The last game being the section of the story where you've got literal skyscraper-sized Weapons marching on Midgar and roaming the world that you're hunting down, it'll just feel different actually taking to the skies to see it all while still having the underlying experience of what that place was like from the time you spent there.

Again, the first true realization of the Weapons being from FFXV Kingsglaive helps to show that the scale of this sort of conflict is going to feel REALLY different, and Rebirth has a brand new Weapon awakening which I assume is going to be a really big part of setting the stage for the change in global scope between Rebirth and the final title, especially with threats like Meteor and global apocalypse looming.

X :neo:

Top Bottom